Thread: Does Linux handle region code changes without alerting the hardware?

Beans

Question Does Linux handle region code changes without alerting the hardware?

Does Linux handle region code changes without alerting the hardware?
    The problem with DVD Burners is that they are limited to a maximum number of region-code changes before they will change region no more or, in some of the seconds and rejects imported into Australia, the burner is no longer able to read or write media once the limit is reached.
    This problem is mitigated through the use of software such as AnyDVD - which removes a number of other annoying and potentially illegal features such as advertising locks which prevent the user from skipping past the advertisements on a full-priced products (c.w. the issue of merchantability under the Trade Practices Act - which is statutory not common law and, so, cannot be dodged with a contract clause).
    As I understand it, Linux's libdvdcss provides all of the necessary region codecs which makes products like AnyDVD redundant on Linux systems. However, I wish to avoid destroying a potentially defective piece of hardware (locally bought from an importer who likely picked the stock up on its way to the tip) - so I don't have to spend yet another $80 on yet another potential reject. This may have something to do with why I want to make sure I have understood this issue correctly:
    Am I reading too much into the Linux DVD43 and AnyDVD Alternatives article if I conclude that libdvdcss decodes DVD disc content without alerting the DVD burner and without having to change the codec installed in the hardware, every time a disc from different region is played?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Does Linux handle region code changes without alerting the hardware?

All I can say is, I just play DVD's. I'm using UK hardware and I seem to be able to play DVD's regardless. I have a number of R1 and they all play too
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This reading should be helpful: Setting DVD Region Codes.

Regards.

Beans

The decss software simply works. Dont worry about it.

Beans

Thank you @HermanAB, @Papibe & @Carl4926. I think that if my question was any cause for concern, somebody would have replied with a warning by now - which effectively answers my question.
    I have to say how impressed I am with the state of Linux these days.
    Thanks again for your very fast responses.