Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice 4.0 released.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LibreOffice 4.0 released.

Just installed LibreOffice 4 on my Xubuntu 12.04 System. It doesn't work. I get the splash screen and then -- nothing. Running it in Terminal I get the following errors:

(soffice:14860): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "equinox",

(soffice:14860): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "equinox",

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-40Nvt0/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I have a couple .docx files I've downloaded to test .docx import capability. They're pretty heavily formatted with a bunch of graphics. IMO LO4 does a better job of rendering them than LO 3.6 does. Not by a lot, but better. Saving to docx? I haven't tried that yet.
    This is what I'm interested in. I never really had a problem with opening docx files, but saving to docx totally sucks, especially if you're using bullet points.

Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    I tried a Publisher doc and it opened in Writer. I was surprised at how well the fidelity was maintained. I only had to fix an automatic page number that I placed on a master page in the original document. I have not tried to save in Publisher format because I no longer have Publisher to test it.
    Publisher uses pub files, not doc. Can Writer actually open pub files now? There has never been a way to work with pub files other than Publisher.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Meh. Not ready for prime time. Removed and reinstalling 3.x. Guess I'll have to wait for the PPA.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    This is what I'm interested in. I never really had a problem with opening docx files, but saving to docx totally sucks, especially if you're using bullet points.

{snip}
    my testing with docx and xlsx files transmitted to Win7 MSFT Ofc 2010 have looked pretty good so far .

I would note if the Windows system is using the start office pack you still have a NO GO .

But this appears to be a HUGE improvement

I'm even reading some Official Rumours claiming msft will offer Office for Linux ... It is amusing to ponder the implications of this... if there is anything to it ...

I cannot imagine any reason for retaining LO Vers 3.5
    Last edited by mike acker; February 11th, 2013 at 01:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    I'm even reading some Official Rumours claiming msft will offer Office for Linux ... It is amusing to ponder the implications of this... if there is anything to it ...
    I can't fathom there's any truth to the rumor. If it's true, however, I'm guessing it's because MS sees Open Office (& possibly Libre Office) as a serious threat. After all, if MS loses the business community, then they're in serious trouble. Windows, as far as businesses are concerned, is little more than a platform for MS Office. If governments (Munich) are willing to switch to Open Office, then this could be the beginning of the end of Windows.

I wonder if, somewhere in the bowels Redmond, the argument is being made that they need to decapitate Open/Libre Office just like Netscape. Offer MS Office on Linux and they can kill Open Office. I can't imagine Ballmer going for that (besides the fact that it wouldn't work). Such a strategy would be tantamount to giving up on Windows.

As it is, Ballmer is probably having sleepless nights.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Just installed LibreOffice 4 on my Xubuntu 12.04 System. It doesn't work. I get the splash screen and then -- nothing. Running it in Terminal I get the following errors:
    Any ideas?

The solution is on this page:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall gtk2-engines

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-40Nvt0/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    This is related to this bug on XFCE.

Kamalakar
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kagashe View Post
    The solution is on this page:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall gtk2-engines

This is related to this bug on XFCE.

Kamalakar
    Thanks kagashe. These seem to be such in-your--face bugs that it kind of makes me wonder how they were never noticed by the powers-that-be. (Does every last coder only develop Libre Office with Gnome Keyring enabled?) I've subscribed to the bug. Hopefully they'll sort out the Gnome Keyring business. I detest the feature. Ought to have an option to disable it in Libre, in my opinion, but what do I know...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

LibreOffice 4.0 PPA is now available.
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0

and you can upgrade to LibreOffice 4.0

Kamalakar
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By the way guys a new Guide for LibreOffice 4.0 has been relieasd for both print (around $20) format and PDF (free)

See here

Its great to see the new features and some hidden (not so obvious) features explained. ^_^

Beans

Question Re: LibreOffice 4.0 released.

Is the Libre Office available un Ubuntu Software Center version 4? If not how do I install Libre Office 4?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast