Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LibreOffice 4.0 released.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LibreOffice 4.0 released.

Hi Apurvam!

If you perform these steps: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/08/...cise-pangolin/ - you will have LO4 installed.
    It updated my libreoffice 3.6 install to 4 on my Xubuntu.
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Apurvam View Post
    Is the Libre Office available un Ubuntu Software Center version 4? If not how do I install Libre Office 4?
    You need to add this ppa "ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0"

The procedure to add ppa through Software Center is available on this page on omgubuntu site.

Kamalakar
    Ubuntu on Lenovo G50-45 with Secure Boot on and Windows 10 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The ppa:libreoffice/ppa now provides Version 4.0.1.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)). The ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0 is yet another ppa, but perhaps the version there is more bleeding edge and unstable? I am not sure which of these repo's is recommended for more general use, beyond testers.

Beans

I added PPA (post #32), but when I search Libre in Ubuntu Software Center (I'm using Xubuntu 12.10 btw) and try to install LibreOffice Calc I get following error:
    Requires installation of untrusted packages
    This requires installing packages from unauthenticated sources.
    Details: libclucene-contribs1 libclucene-core1 libcmis-0.3-3 libexttextcat-2.0-0 libexttextcat-data libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-help-zh-cn libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-za libreoffice-l10n-zh-cn libreoffice-math libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-writer uno-libs3 ure
    It gives to 2 options: OK and Repair.

I tried "Repair" but it didn't help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    The ppa:libreoffice/ppa now provides Version 4.0.1.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)). The ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0 is yet another ppa, but perhaps the version there is more bleeding edge and unstable? I am not sure which of these repo's is recommended for more general use, beyond testers.
    AFAIK,
    ppa:libreoffice/ppa - always the latest version that is available
    ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0 - only the 4.0.x series

So, if you subscribe to the 4.0 ppa only and 4.1, 4.2, ... 5.x, 6.x, et al. comes out, you are not going to get updates beyond the 4.0.x series.

Read the descriptions here and here.
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I read the descriptions well, then the best advise to provide to general users is to use the ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0. This will contain stable releases, although only for the 4.0 series. The ppa:libreoffice/ppa indeed may even push alpha releases at some time. Knowing this, I'll change my repo to ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    The ppa:libreoffice/ppa indeed may even push alpha releases at some time.
    Well, you have to take into proper context what the alpha/beta builds are for:
    For the current development release of Ubuntu this ppa might even contain alpha and beta releases
    So, if you are using a version of Ubuntu that is yet to be released (e.g., 13.04 as of this writing), then it's possible that what you will get from the main PPA may be alpha/beta builds as well.

Looking at their Packaging PPA page, they also list a Pre-Releases PPA that:
    contains alpha and beta release (before the 3.X.0/4.X.0 release)
    Last edited by Pinoy Tux; March 16th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234