Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is upgrading like?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What is upgrading like?

+1 for a clean install, there are some significant differences that makes it hard to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 or above.

Plus it takes a lot longer to upgrade then it does to do a clean install and with an upgrade you will most likely end up with a broken system.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I used to upgrade twice a year, never had a problem, except sometimes it took days and many times some programs did not upgrade.
    I always feared a power outage when upgrading.

Nowadays I install fresh and reuse the /home partition. If the install is not using a /home partition, I copy the old home folder to the new install using rsync, (Grsync actually).
    It is much faster than upgrading.

10.04 to 12.04 was no problem this way.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; February 8th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I used to upgrade twice a year, never had a problem, except sometimes it took days and many times some programs did not upgrade.
    I guess it depends how many packages you have installed to how long it takes and what breaks. The devs I believe take a long time making sure an upgrade works (I know that upgrades don't always work - believe me)

I know the pain of upgrade failures but am obviously in the minority - I always upgrade although I do this mostly from a cd/dvd as I have 6 pcs to upgrade.

I used to upgrade every 6 months as well but switched to LTS from 12.04 for mythtv boxes and kids PCs. My own box I always keep the latest GA.

As for data - all boxes bar myth are dual boot so share an ntfs partition for use as local backup. I my box/mythboxes are backed up on a weekly basis at minimum to external hard drives. Regular backups of important data avoids any major pain.
    Last edited by furything; February 8th, 2013 at 08:52 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako View Post
    I'd go as far as using dd to create an image on an external drive in case you have to restore your entire computer back in a snap.
    I can't agree more. It takes a bit longer and you'll need a bigger backup drive, but it's literally a clone of your hard drive, which makes it REALLY easy to restore the backup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako View Post
    I'd go as far as using dd to create an image on an external drive in case you have to restore your entire computer back in a snap.
    Could not agree more upgrading can be hit and miss so you need good backups.

that said take a look here

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/ubuntu-10-04-12-04-upgrade-how-well-does-it-go

Seems its getting better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12