Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mplayer variants freeze

Beans

mplayer variants freeze

both umplayer and smplayer freeze more and more often. I'll watch video and then listen to music or surf the web and then come back to watch more vid.

Both mplayer based players will open, size themselves and stop. sometimes they play a frame or two of the vid and then stop. they do not show time data for the video. VLC will play the video but is not a permanent solution as it cannot resume from last played position.

it's fine once the thing is restarted but i am having to do that more and more often which makes me think maybe the system is becoming unstable.

Anyone else had this, anyone know why it is happening....and what can be done to stop it happening?

thanks.

Beans

Re: mplayer variants freeze

Beans

Play a video that freezes from the command line with mplayer ("mplayer /path/to/videofile") and post the results here inside [code][/code] tags. If you start to see a neverending repetition of errors, just give us the first few.

Do you have this problem with all videos or just certain ones? H.264-encoded videos are pretty much the norm these days, but they impose substantial demands on the processor to decode them in real time. Newer encodings with "10-bit" color have additional issues. If you have anything older files encoded with XviD in the AVI container (usually filename.avi), do you see the same problems with those?

What video card do you have? Use the command "lspci" if you don't know. Also include the results of "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'".

Mplayer2 might help, but lets see what you have in the way of hardware first.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 7th, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thanks for that. just installed mplayer2. let's see how it goes.

Beans

i'll try mplayer2 before going deeper. it's great that you've shared your knowledge and hope i may draw on it again should mplayer2 not solve my problem. many thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Play a video that freezes from the command line with mplayer ("mplayer /path/to/videofile") and post the results here inside [code][/code] tags. If you start to see a neverending repetition of errors, just give us the first few.

Do you have this problem with all videos or just certain ones? H.264-encoded videos are pretty much the norm these days, but they impose substantial demands on the processor to decode them in real time. Newer encodings with "10-bit" color have additional issues. If you have anything older files encoded with XviD in the AVI container (usually filename.avi), do you see the same problems with those?

What video card do you have? Use the command "lspci" if you don't know. Also include the results of "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'".

Mplayer2 might help, but lets see what you have in the way of hardware first.
    i'll try mplayer2 before going deeper. it's great that you've shared your knowledge and hope i may draw on it again should mplayer2 not solve my problem. many thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GnuKian View Post
    thanks for that. just installed mplayer2. let's see how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You can resume video in VLC
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/16423...opped-with-vlc
    But if something is not set up correctly working it may be worth taking up SeijiSensei offer to assist

Beans

Perhaps consider building your own copy of MPlayer:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Compiling%20MPlayer
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Perhaps consider building your own copy of MPlayer:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Compiling%20MPlayer
    wow!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast