Thread: Install Ubuntu on Android tablet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Install Ubuntu on Android tablet

I'm looking to buy a tablet, but I want to make sure I can always install Ubuntu on it with everything working. I like android, but most of the time I just want a full fledged OS.

I was checking out this cheap thing here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1M80H28093 then I thought I should go with the Nexus 7 because I would get more support. Anyway just looking for ideas or opinions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Install Ubuntu on Android tablet

Quote Originally Posted by the_bob View Post
    I'm looking to buy a tablet, but I want to make sure I can always install Ubuntu on it with everything working. I like android, but most of the time I just want a full fledged OS.

I was checking out this cheap thing here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1M80H28093 then I thought I should go with the Nexus 7 because I would get more support. Anyway just looking for ideas or opinions.
    We all want exactly what you are looking for. However, the most important part is having a boot-loaded that can be unlocked. Without that, you will be stuck using a cluge solution like running ARM/Ubuntu inside a chroot environment under Android, then connecting to that OS with a VNC client. I've run this and it was cool for about 5 minutes until I found that the keyboard and mousepad drivers sucked making it completely unusable as a PC.

I travel with an Atom-based netbook still, if that is any indication of where these installs are.

In short, don't hold your breath. Canonical seems to have learned from Microsoft about pre-announcing lab experiments as products that we will never see unless a big company decides to pay. Not a bad business decision, but terrible if you make real-money decisions based on it.

I hope I'm completely wrong, I really do, but I've been in the IT industry over 20 yrs. The names change, but the tactics do not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Install Ubuntu on Android tablet

According to Shuttleworth, an Ubuntu version that will run on Android will not be available before the end of the year.

Previously, Canonical said that this wasn't going to be released other than to OEMs to put on their phones.

So, this is at least, some progress.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.