Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Ubuntu Phone OEM?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: First Ubuntu Phone OEM?

I've read that Nokia is unhappy with Windows Phone and are looking at making devices with other OSs. I also think Dell and HTC might test the waters as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zach.detton View Post
    I've read that Nokia is unhappy with Windows Phone and are looking at making devices with other OSs. I also think Dell and HTC might test the waters as well.
    This. Dell is already offering products with Ubuntu installed, who's to say that they don't want to attempt to re-enter the mobile industry?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/28/43...oid-smartphone

LG seems unhappy with the google/apple duopoly.
    They even mention Ubuntu as an alternative in the article.

Beans

I just started looking at a replacement for my Palm, having only ever owned a PDA/smartphone and never "just a phone". Androids are all the rage but one glance at their attitude to harvesting your data tells me to run away.

Hopefully Ubuntu won't go down this route all though the video I just watched does say that all your data will vanish into "the cloud" which I always read as some dodgy country with a poor attitude to data security and a govt keen to collect as much data about everyone as they can.

It's a mobile device, it doesn't need to keep any of my data anywhere but on the device. If I want to back-up then I can use an SD card or my home computer.

If Ubuntu took this line they would quicky gain enthusiastic following among those of us who don't want all and sundry slicing and dicing every aspect of our lives. If they want to make money then I for one would happily pay a small premium on the contract or data usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by scubascooby View Post
    It's a mobile device, it doesn't need to keep any of my data anywhere but on the device. If I want to back-up then I can use an SD card or my home computer.

If Ubuntu took this line they would quicky gain enthusiastic following among those of us who don't want all and sundry slicing and dicing every aspect of our lives. If they want to make money then I for one would happily pay a small premium on the contract or data usage.
    Gaining an enthusiastic following amongst a handful of people, and simultaneously turning away everyone else, is not the way to make a successful product.

While you may feel paranoid about having your data stored anywhere other than your phone, the majority of the rest of us like having our data automatically backed up. When your phone's OS won't start up anymore, or you experience hardware failure and have to buy a new phone, it can really hurt to lose those important notes and phone numbers you stored safely in your phone two days ago.

I back up my SD card manually every month, but my contacts, SMSes, mail, calendar and notes are stored in the cloud. And I tell you what, I've had my phone's OS stop working and need reflashing, and lost my contacts. Then I decided to use Android's automatic cloud storage this time, and when the same thing happened again I didn't need to lift a finger to get all my data back.

If the Ubuntu phone didn't automatically back up my contacts in the cloud, I wouldn't buy one. It would be too big a step backward.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hopefully Ubuntu won't go down this route all though the video I just watched does say that all your data will vanish into "the cloud" which I always read as some dodgy country with a poor attitude to data security and a govt keen to collect as much data about everyone as they can.
    Like the US?

I fully agree with the poster above me, cloud sync is a must-have feature.

Beans

My post above was very timely.

The cloud won't really be of much use if you spend long periods in areas without even phone connectivity. I have had Palm devices for about 17 years but never had any requirement to have my data held anywhere but on the phone. I backed up about twice a year to a PIM but never had to use it to recover due to lost data. Where is the advantage in having the data held remotely ? Why would a cloud-free device "turn away" other users ? If the Apps are designed properly then there is no need for remote storage. This is the mistake that Palm made with WebOS.

The people in your address book didn't agree to have their data shared with anyone but you so you shouldn't allow it to be uploaded to random server that it going to be accessed by any govt that feels like it.

If you do a quick 'net search for "android without google account" you will see a large number of people with a poor attitude to data security. It really is quite disturbing that they consider it acceptable for google to gain access to all their data. Even Orwell would be shocked by this level of intrusion.

Beans
    Distro

My post above was very timely.
    Yes, it certainly was: Our perception of the world changed a lot in the last few days.

The cloud won't really be of much use if you spend long periods in areas without even phone connectivity.
    Data is usually stored on the device, but sync'ed to the cloud. If you live in an area without phone connectivity, then not only will cloud backup be useless, but your phone will be only slightly more useful than a Filofax. We're talking about Ubuntu Phone here, not old-school PDAs. Even if you only get a few minutes of connectivity a week, that's enough to do cloud backup or cloud restore.

The people in your address book didn't agree to have their data shared with anyone but you so you shouldn't allow it to be uploaded to random server that it going to be accessed by any govt that feels like it.

If you do a quick 'net search for "android without google account" you will see a large number of people with a poor attitude to data security. It really is quite disturbing that they consider it acceptable for google to gain access to all their data. Even Orwell would be shocked by this level of intrusion.
    George Orwell was a bit of a loony-bin, actually. He used to write letters to the Prime Minister in which he listed all the people in public society who he suspected of being communists.

I don't mind Google having knowledge about who is on my contacts list, what menial little tasks are in my calendar and even where my phone was at any given point in time. I don't want the NSA to have this information, though, because there's no benefit to me and the potential for abuse is much greater than it would be with Google alone. I'd have to think about if I still want things backed up to Google. The benefits of "lose your phone or the phone dies, don't worry all your data will just appear on the new phone" are still pretty good and definitely attract people to Android. I wouldn't buy an Ubuntu Phone if there was no option for cloud sync.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; June 14th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

If you really need cloud services then you could sign up for a service, download a suitable app and off you go. There is absolutely no need for it to be mandatory.

Also you must remember that the people in your address book didn't agree to have their data spread across the internet. It's not your data and data protection laws probably apply.

Beans
    Distro

If you really need cloud services then you could sign up for a service, download a suitable app and off you go. There is absolutely no need for it to be mandatory.
    No, and it's not mandatory on Android either.

Also you must remember that the people in your address book didn't agree to have their data spread across the internet. It's not your data and data protection laws probably apply.
    Phone numbers are not private information, and I'm not spreading it across the internet, I'm storing it in a cloud service. It's like if I borrow my friend's towel when I'm going to the pool, and I store it in one of those little lockers. I'm not "spreading the towel around the pool", I'm storing it in a fairly secure place only I can access. Oh sure, the managers of the pool can probably open the locker with a master key if they desired, but they are hardly likely to do that.

However I'd be uncomfortable if the NSA forced the managers of the pool to open all the lockers so they could inspect the contents, because that's an invasion of my right to privacy in a space that is secured.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123