Thread: Blank desktop after login - Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Blank desktop after login - Ubuntu 12.10

Hi all, first of all I'm completely new to Ubuntu. I really wanted to learn/be familiar with Linux but didn't want to install it as a main OS so I decided to use VirtualBox to play around with it.

First time around I installed the 64bit version but I kept getting the kernel error. I couldn't find the option to enable Intel Virtualization Technology in my BIOS so I just downloaded the 32bit version instead.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the installation, but whenever I login (the login screen appears to be normal) I'm presented with a blank desktop. I see the background color/image but there are no icons.

I tried reinstalling it but I got the same results.

Details:
    Host OS is Windows 7 64bit
    VirtualBox version 4.2.6
    giving the virtual machine ~1gig of ram and and 8 Gigabyte HDD
    Gfx card - GTX 670

Please let me know if there's any more information I should be providing.

Thank you!

Beans

Re: Blank desktop after login - Ubuntu 12.10

Also, often times when I restart the machine it hangs on the black screen right after "Checking battery state [OK]"

Or after "Starting"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cohbalt View Post
    Hi all, first of all I'm completely new to Ubuntu. I really wanted to learn/be familiar with Linux but didn't want to install it as a main OS so I decided to use VirtualBox to play around with it.

First time around I installed the 64bit version but I kept getting the kernel error. I couldn't find the option to enable Intel Virtualization Technology in my BIOS so I just downloaded the 32bit version instead.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the installation, but whenever I login (the login screen appears to be normal) I'm presented with a blank desktop. I see the background color/image but there are no icons.

I tried reinstalling it but I got the same results.

Details:
    Host OS is Windows 7 64bit
    VirtualBox version 4.2.6
    giving the virtual machine ~1gig of ram and and 8 Gigabyte HDD
    Gfx card - GTX 670

Please let me know if there's any more information I should be providing.

Thank you!
    Few things to check - Have you checked the graphical settings for Virtualbox?

They are under Virtual Machine Settings -> Display -> Enable 3D Video Acceleration. Increasing the amount of video memory can't hurt either
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Enabled 3D Acceleration and have allotted 32MB of video memory to it. No change

Also, whenever I try to "Send the shutdown signal" it doesn't seem to shut off (or I'm just not patient enough), I have to "Power Off" the machine. It doesn't like that very much and as I mentioned it tends not to boot up afterwards, instead getting stuck on the "Checking Battery State".

Beans

Any other suggestions?

Beans

Eh I have had issues with 12.10 in virtualbox, it reallky is a crap release.
    I would go with 12.04 LTS, far more stable and you can still get newer packages in it via ppa's

Beans

Hey that did that trick! Thank you!

Also, how do I correct the screen? Even if I select "Full screen" in VirtualBox it just makes the icons bigger and bloated.
    Last edited by Cohbalt; February 9th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.