Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 Wacom conflict? XrandR fails

Beans

Re: 11.04 Wacom conflict? XrandR fails

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I see. Maybe you would be happy with the tweaks of kansasnoob. You will find kansasnoob's thread about making Ubuntu 12.04 be 'old gnome' in the Ubuntu Forums.
    You mean this thread?
    Still not in the right direction -- can't install Ubuntu 12.04 on my non-PAE Toshiba M200 PC.

I'm going to see about tweaking my X11/xorg.conf file to something that I originally used. (And YAY, XrandR is back!)
    Last edited by pakopako; February 7th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako View Post
    You mean this thread?
    Still not in the right direction -- can't install Ubuntu 12.04 on my non-PAE Toshiba M200 PC.

I'm going to see about tweaking my X11/xorg.conf file to something that I originally used. (And YAY, XrandR is back!)
    I meant this thread (and threads and wiki pages, that it refers to)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370
    and
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

You can start from a Xubuntu or Lubuntu iso file or the mini.iso file with non-pae kernel, and install the appropriate packages to get the gnome desktop (to be tweaked according to kansasnoob). But it is not as easy as just installing a ready-made flavour of Ubuntu.
    --
    I understand, that you really want to continue with your present system, so good luck with the debugging

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And YAY, XrandR is back!
    Is that because you're using the xorg.conf you linked to? It uses the Nvidia proprietary and I noticed it ignores EDID and it defines those values manually.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I understand, that you really want to continue with your present system, so good luck with the debugging
    Thanks. If I can't get my Wacom functioning, I'll try installing Xubuntu 12.04 and then sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (Is this Gnome classic desktop, or the Unity/floating-menu thing that crashes my video card?)

Might I ask how one transfers their settings from Ubuntu 11.04 to Xubuntu 12.04? (I imagine it won't be as simple as copying over the $home folder, xorg.conf, and fstab?)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pakopako View Post
    Thanks. If I can't get my Wacom functioning, I'll try installing Xubuntu 12.04 and then sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (Is this Gnome classic desktop, or the Unity/floating-menu thing that crashes my video card?)
    I think it contains all of them, you select the desktop environment at the login screen.
    Might I ask how one transfers their settings from Ubuntu 11.04 to Xubuntu 12.04? (I imagine it won't be as simple as copying over the $home folder, xorg.conf, and fstab?)
    I think it will be hard to get everything carried over from 11.04 to 12.04. Maybe via 11.10, but I think you can get many things working by the method you describe. In this case I suggest that you make a separate /home partition, and instead of slow and risky upgrading in two steps, that you make a fresh install of 12.04.

Honestly, you don't need everything from the old system to be carried over to the new system. Install what you need when you need it! Or if you have space for it (or can make space for it), make a dual boot system with both the old and a new system (or multi boot) if you already have dual boot with Windows.

Beans
    Distro

If that works it will be a selection including Unity as the default. At the log-in screen choose (click on the Ubuntu icon) Unity 2D. That doesn't uses Compiz like Unity 3D does, and it is Compiz crashing you. Or you'll probably want Gnome Classic.

Now to verify that ttyS4 is the Wacom digitizer's serial port you can use xxd. Quoting myself:
    xxd (hidrawX hexdump) will exit for devices not listed, otherwise CTRL and C to quit. Run through each device listed by "ls /dev/ttyS*" eg. ttyS0, ttyS1, etc. Bring the pen to the screen and move it around. You know you have the right ttyS* when you see a reaction with an output of characters. That's the ttyS* you want to use in xorg.conf.
    So:
    Code:
    xxd /dev/ttyS4
    since from your dmesg output it looks like it is on the ttyS4 serial port.
    Last edited by Favux; February 7th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Now to verify that ttyS4 is the Wacom digitizer's serial port you can use xxd...
    Code:
    xxd /dev/ttyS4
    since from your dmesg output it looks like it is on the ttyS4 serial port.
    Not sure if this was the expected result, but:

ls /dev/ttyS* results in values 0~31 (no skips)
    Running xxd /dev/ttyS[0~31] results in nothing save for
    Code:
    xxd /dev/ttyS4
    xxd: /dev/ttyS4: No such device
    Running xxd on its own just shows a stalled terminal (I need to CTRL-C to break) with no changes if I move the Wacom over the screen.
    Last edited by pakopako; February 8th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, they use to have just 5 ports enabled, S0 to S4, but starting with Natty suddenly 32 ports. Never found an explanation but I think it has something to do with UpStart.

Try sudo xxd on S4. If the Wacom digitzer is on a port you should see output to the pen. Provided there isn't some conflict. It should only be on the lower ports. Likely either S0 or S4. I haven't really seen ports much above S4 active.

You don't happen to have a Windows or other partition that you can confirm the digitizer is working on do you?

Beans

Sorry I missed your earlier post; yes, I'm using the xorg I linked to. (Though if it uses the nVidia proprietary drivers... does that mean I've installed it?)

Try sudo xxd on S4. If the Wacom digitzer is on a port you should see output to the pen.
    Still not seeing anything different than before.

You don't happen to have a Windows or other partition that you can confirm the digitizer is working on do you?
    I have XP, so I know the digitizer is still working. My earlier re-install of 11.04 worked (up until I restored all my previously installed programs). I've also made the Xubuntu LiveCD and "sudo xxd /dev/ttyS4" is producing columns of hex just like it should. (Although I can't install ubuntu-desktop ... maybe it's just because of the LiveCD.)

Huh. But that gets me thinking. When I installed IrCP tray, it included the creation of the file "/etc/default/irda-utils"
    Code:
    ENABLE="false"
    AUTOMATIC="true"
    DISCOVERY="true"
    DEVICE="/dev/ttyS1"
    DONGLE="none"
    SETSERIAL=""
    USE_SMCINIT="no"
    MAX_BAUD_RATE="115200"
    Hm. Nevermind. It's just affecting ttyS1.

Speaking of which, off the Xubuntu LiveCD can read ttyS4... why does it also have an IRQ of 4?
    Code:
    /dev/ttyS0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
    /dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
    /dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
    /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
    /dev/ttyS4, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x0338, IRQ: 4
    Last edited by pakopako; February 8th, 2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: How is something that doesn't affect ttyS4 shut down ttyS4?

Beans
    Distro

So not a hardware problem since it is working in XP. Important to know.
    When I installed IrCP tray, it included the creation of the file "/etc/default/irda-utils"
    Important information. Looks like the Wacom may be on ttyS1 and is being blocked. Does the irda-utils configuration file let you comment (#) out things? If so try:
    Code:
    #DEVICE="/dev/ttyS1"
    and see if the Wacom digitizer now works. Then possibly the IR is on S4? If so:
    Code:
    DEVICE="/dev/ttyS4"
    Anyway something along those lines is what I would be looking at.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast