Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow hibernate / resume

Beans

Question Slow hibernate / resume

Disclaimer: I don't use "Suspend" because it does not work reliably on my machine. Hibernate works... except for this.

Anyone know of a way to make hibernate faster? The machine takes about 5 minutes to shut down and then about 5 minutes to boot to a usable state when using hibernate. It is at least twice as fast to just shut the machine down and boot it from scratch. But then, I don't get to keep my running applications.

I don't really mind the slow shutdown, it's the slow resume that kills me. While it's resuming, there is just a blinking cursor and lots of disk activity. It eventually pops back to the locked desktop and I can move the mouse around, but it is another minute or so of just a lot of disk activity before I can unlock the desktop and do anything. And even for the first minute or so after I am using the machine, the disk is going crazy, as if it is still paging stuff back in.

I know it can be faster because...
    - Windows on the same machine restores from hibernate into a perfectly usable state in about 1 minute.
    - I tried using uswsusp and it's also much, much faster (1-1.5 minutes). But I don't want to just use that because it fails to hibernate every now and then, seemingly randomly, and I lose my running stuff.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to speed this up (using Ubuntu's default pm-utils and not uswsusp). I know that speed in this area is a major focus for Ubuntu 9.04 so I am hopeful that at least then I will see this problem resolved.

Thanks for any insights!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Slow hibernate / resume

what applications are you running when you are using hibernate?
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

My typical application space includes something like...

- Thunderbird
    - Firefox
    - Gedit (several)
    - MonoDevelop (several)
    - Terminal (several)
    - Rhythmbox
    - F-spot
    - NX client
    - OpenOffice (maybe)

Yeah, it seems like a lot. I rely on hibernate because I often leave applications running for a long time, spread out across several workspaces. It's a lot of applications but none of them are particularly disk intensive, and I don't see a lot of disk activity when I am just using the machine regularly.

Beans

I have the same problem and I first thought it was the applications I was running. So I tested and found out that I can start the computer then immediately hibernate it and the result is the same. It can take anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes waiting for the system to come back on line.

This really is the pits too. I love linux, but in the past few months I am finding myself increasingly mobile and there is so many times I just want to shut the dang lid and come back later to a full desktop.

Beans

Hi

I am having similar issues with slow resuming. I don't get this as slow as you guys - about 3-4 minutes or so. However, what I tend to find is that a big part of of that time, the computer sits there without doing any visible activity. Over a minute, it sits with a blank screen without any hard disk activity. Once the hard disk activity starts, it takes about a minute to get the login prompt and another 10-30 seconds for laptop to become properly responsive when I can start entering my password. I am using T61p Thinkpad with 4Gb of ram; 7.2k rpm hard disk.

Andrei

Beans

Actually, just did a few tests with the following results:

To hibername: 58 seconds
    To resume: 3m 55 seconds

out of which, just over a minute laptop was doing nothing visible (no activity on HD, even the screen backlight was off.

2minutes and 20 seconds after the boot, the X came on and I could move the mouse. From that point on, the HD activity was on (about minute and a half) until the login screen appeared.

Andrei

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i notice this too. there must be a way to speed up resume from hibernation?
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans

I've got exactly the same problem as mozg - Thinkpad t61p, 4 gigs of RAM, 7,2k rpm - when resuming there is nothing happening for over a minute - blank screen, no hdd activity.

Beans

I know in my first post, I specified that I did not want to use uswsusp. However, I tried it again and it seems to be working very reliably now (and faster than Ubuntu's default pm-utils). I think the problem that caused intermittent failures with it before was actually the video card driver... I recommend, if you have an NVIDIA card, you use a later 180.xx version of the driver. You can either get this from NVIDIA's web site, or manually download and install the nvidia-glx-180 package and dependencies from jaunty's repositories (the one in the intrepid repositories is a beta version and I had other problems with it).

Here's my solution to this problem.

First, install uswsusp. (sudo apt-get install uswsusp)
    The version in Intrepid is pretty old, but it might work for you. It's been updated in Jaunty (I'm using the RC at the moment). Works fine for me in both.

After you install uswsusp, you need to tell Ubuntu to use it as the default hibernate mechanism. To do this, open /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module in your favorite text editor, uncomment the bottom line, and set it to uswsusp.

SLEEP_MODULE="uswsusp"

Now try hibernating and resuming and see if it is any faster for you!

[Edit]
    Note: In intrepid, sometimes the system would fail to power off after the RAM image was written to disk while hibernating. After forcing a power off (by holding down the power button), it would still boot up and resume fine. This hasn't happened to me so far in jaunty...
    Last edited by Aaron44126; April 20th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Beans

Good to hear your issue has been resolved Aaron.

I'd just like to add my name to the above list of posters that have the slow hibernate/resume issues. Not sure if I should post here, but I didn’t find anywhere else after some quick searches.

Ubuntu
    Start from Shutdown
    1 minute 25 seconds
    Start From Hibernate
    1 minute 25 seconds

Windows
    Start From Shutdown (I don't have many apps running at boot up)
    1 minute 10 seconds
    Start From Hibernate
    20 seconds

Pity about this as it makes Ubuntu unfeasible for bunch of users with Windows partitions. It's just not worth rebooting and shutting down to look up something quickly... I don't have a lot of performance coding experience but where would we need to look for a fix for this?
    Last edited by morpheus01; May 19th, 2009 at 11:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast