Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome freezes Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Google Chrome freezes Ubuntu

You could remove Chrome-open home/hidden folders/.config and delete the google chrome folder and re-install Chrome.

If the profile is corrupt it will be removed with the folder and a new one created during installation. If you use the sign in to chrome feature your previous book marks and settings will be restored when you sign in.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Chrome crashed again this afternoon. A few days ago, I ran:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove google-chrome

sudo-apt-get purge google-chrome-stable
    and removed the Chrome folder in the .config directory as Frogs Hair said. I then redownloaded the 64-bit .deb and reinstalled Chrome. Nevertheless, I got the same freeze again when I followed a link to youtube.

Thanks for taking the time to help me sort this out - I certainly appreciate it!

Beans
    Distro

I run Opera and Chrome with less memory without Flash,crash, or freeze problems, so I would see if there are any drivers available for your graphics card/controller in additional drivers.

Being an AMD and Nvidia user I have on experience with Intel graphics and Ubuntu. Run the following to display you CPU information.
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

Beans

Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 6
    model		: 58
    model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    stepping	: 9
    microcode	: 0x12
    cpu MHz		: 1200.000
    cache size	: 3072 KB
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 4
    core id		: 0
    cpu cores	: 2
    apicid		: 0
    initial apicid	: 0
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 13
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
    bogomips	: 4988.62
    clflush size	: 64
    cache_alignment	: 64
    address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

processor	: 1
    core id		: 0
    apicid		: 1
    initial apicid	: 1
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
    bogomips	: 4988.43
    power management:

processor	: 2
    core id		: 1
    apicid		: 2
    initial apicid	: 2
    bogomips	: 4988.44
    power management:

processor	: 3
    core id		: 1
    apicid		: 3
    initial apicid	: 3
    bogomips	: 4988.44
    power management:
    When I looked in additional drivers, the menu was blank and was titled "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system". A quick Google search turned up no additional drivers other than the ones packaged with Ubuntu. I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
    and it merely confirmed I already had the latest version of the intel driver package. I'll certainly keep looking for a new driver, though.

I don't know if it matters, but I've tried several times hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1, logging in, and running "sudo reboot", but the computer does nothing. I don't know if that indicates whether it's a graphics problem or not, but I figure it can't hurt to mention.

Beans
    Distro

You have a capable CPU and more than enough memory so I have no further suggestions.

Beans

Thanks for your help!

Beans

Finally got the problem fixed. I did a reinstall of Ubuntu 12.04 about a week ago, and haven't had a problem since. Still not sure what the cause was, but hopefully this'll be useful for anyone else who encounters a similar problem.

Beans

awesome..
    now I will attempt the chrome! : )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JSF1992 View Post
    Finally got the problem fixed. I did a reinstall of Ubuntu 12.04 about a week ago, and haven't had a problem since. Still not sure what the cause was, but hopefully this'll be useful for anyone else who encounters a similar problem.
    I've had the exact same roblem. I have re-installed 12.04 and it gets fixed for a short time, ten re-appears again. Right now I did another re-install, I will use firefox and see if the problem goes away.

I never had a problem in the past using 12.04 and chrome. I stopped using 13.04 and Saucy because of freezes. I kept shooting the trouble as kernel or nouveau related, but now it aprrears its been the latest chrome stable that's the culprit.

Beans

I am experiencing the same system freeze when running Chrome in Ubuntu 13.04. Things run fine for a few hours then total freeze. Sometimes the mouse cursor is still responsive but this also stops after a while. I can't ctrl-al F1 to get a console and I can't ssh into the machine.
    Frustrating as I was hoping to switch to Chrome from Firefox.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast