Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

Yes it does seem complicated but all it needs to become official is a couple of scripts. After all update-grub is just an x-shellscript that calls grub-mkconfig.

#! /bin/sh
    set -e
    exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
    Something similar can be done to turn this roll back to a previous version into a single command.

Well done. Superb testing!

P.S. Message for ventrical and anyone interested. I found this link with this possibly useful information.

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-con...n-ubuntu-12.10

It gives instruction on how to convert ext3 or ext4 root file system to btrfs. I might test this out with my recently installed 12.10 ext4 to see if I can get a bootable 12.10 btrfs system. Which I seem unable to do. And it can be rolled back from a snapshot. The link also says this

If you don't do this, you will get the error...

error: sparse file not allowed
    That is to comment out line 93 in /etc/grub.d/00_header
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 13th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the extra info grahamechanical. That will come in handy.

regards,
    ventrical
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro

I had been reading up on some info about the 'other' file systems available for Ubuntu, especially XFS and JFS. It is said that XFS is the fastest. I had just done an install on an old maxtor, 20GB 4800rpm hdd and it certainly is faster than btrfs by a long shot.

There are certainly faster desktop response times and other apps can be opened without logjam while ubuntu is doing other chores. This all on a single core non HT 2.8GHz Pentium.

The data says that XFS filesystem is unstable , especially in power down events ... so my first experiment will be to .. well .. pull the power plug out ! Here goes.!

Beans
    Distro

Obviously some of the info at this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=246969

is inaccurate as I just pulled the plug out and it rebooted fine with no loss of data .

Now to swap the hdd onto a duplicate machine with HT capability.

Beans
    Distro

It is actually slower on the HT system. I think it is because I do not have the right memory installed.... but I am convinced that because the response time on the single core non HT system that XFS and JFS warrant further experimentation. So I will install raring on a faster hdd.

Beans
    Distro

I'm still using btrfs on my Raring install and I'm absolutely loving the apt-btrfs-snapshot functionality!
    However, I'm finding that performance is degrading terribly. I'm coming across many instances where my HDD light goes solid and I appear completely I/O bound while I have to sit & wait for whatever transactions are happening to finish.
    Have you seen anything like this Ventrical or been able to work around it? I should note that I'm using a quad-core i5, 8GB DDR3 & a 256GB Vertex SSD - so this laptop is no slouch..
    My mount options look like this;
    compress=lzo,ssd,discard,space_cache,relatime,subv ol=@ 0 1

Beans
    Distro

No .. I haven't seen anything of that sort yet .. but, as I had been testing I noticed that (while using Disks>Benchmark) that there is not much of a difference in data transfer speeds but this would not affect how the btrfs handles files and data.

With your machine,being quad with nitro lol, I would wonder if one could really tell the difference between ext4 and btrfs . I am planning to do some more experimentation with btrfs while also testing JFS and XFS.

For the normal end_user and noob I do not think btrfs would be very helpful as it is very complex to work and a lot of terminal entries plus there are some issues with Grub (with some machines) atm.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    No .. I haven't seen anything of that sort yet .. but, as I had been testing I noticed that (while using Disks>Benchmark) that there is not much of a difference in data transfer speeds but this would not affect how the btrfs handles files and data.

With your machine,being quad with nitro lol, I would wonder if one could really tell the difference between ext4 and btrfs . I am planning to do some more experimentation with btrfs while also testing JFS and XFS.

For the normal end_user and noob I do not think btrfs would be very helpful as it is very complex to work and a lot of terminal entries plus there are some issues with Grub (with some machines) atm.
    I've had a really good experience with btrfs so far - I had nil of any install or grub related issues at install and everything's been fairly smooth.
    Performance is probably on par with ext4 - or close enough that I don't notice it. It's only when something happens in the background and I become locked up that it's a pain.

That being said, snapshots, checksumming etc are so worth it, especially when I insist on running development versions of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

I tired to set raring up on my dual core machine with nvidia and it just locks up. That was the Feb 12th raring-desktop-i386.. so I zsynced today and will try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've been testing btrfs on-and-off for about a year or so, and just recently switched back to it for my home pc and workstation at work. The snapshotting is so convenient, and online scrubbing is awesome.
    I haven't experienced much slowdown from fragmentation in my previous tests, but I decided to give the "autodefrag" mount option a try anyhow. I have my fstab as follows:

UUID=xxxxx / btrfs subvol=@,compress=lzo 0 0
    UUID=xxxxx /home btrfs subvol=@home,autodefrag 0 0

I have my / on an SSD, so fragmentation doesn't matter as much. My /home is a standard 1TB HDD, so I'm going to see how it holds up over the next 6 months or so with the autodefrag enabled. I've been filling up my HDD with recordered digital TV, so it should be a good fragmentation test.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast