Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS vs. WinXP

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS vs. WinXP

Try latest WattOS (it's live-CD with installer). Based on Ubuntu 12.04.1 and it has lightweight LXDE as desktop so you could compare it to Lubuntu, but it needs only 500MHz/256MB RAM to run. I love it.

http://www.planetwatt.com/blogs/1/15...w-release-info

Beans

yes, I have but a single hard drive. XP is the first partition (NTFS), Ubuntu the second (ext4), then a shared data partition (NTFS) and then Ubuntu's swap area.

Beans

Thank you, one and all for your responses. And I do apologize for this redundant thread - I did search before posting but obiviously, it was an inadequate search.

Yes, more RAM would be nice. I only paid $10 for this box(!) but I believe I will invest in another 2 gig of RAM when my finances permit. I hate to put a lot of money in this old box when I would rather just get a new one but that will be a bit down the road. But if that does not make it more tolerant, I will investigate the suggested alternates. I'm consider trying that GNOME fallback.

thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What I've done is install Ubuntu as a full version and then installed the LXDE desktop environment. I'm down to 250-300 MB for a full booted machine.

Lubuntu works good too but doesn't offer a LTS edition like the full Ubuntu. So since the Ubuntu series all have the same core its a matter of picking and choosing what you want.

The smallest install (Lubuntu) I've managed to do is a Sony VAIO laptop 800 MHz AMD single core processor with 192 MB of RAM on a 10 GB hard drive. It works just fine but a bit slow to work with.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have to remember that XP is now over a decade old, it was designed to run on the hardware available at the time. This is the main reason why it is so quick on modern hardware.

You can't really make a valid comparison with 12.04, as Ubuntu is a modern OS that has been designed for modern hardware, just take a look at the minimum system requirements for both OS's and you'll see what I mean.

RAM - XP 64MB, Ubuntu 512MB
    CPU - XP 233MHz, Ubuntu 700MHz
    HD - XP 1.5GB, Ubuntu 5GB
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SailorTears View Post
    ...Yes, more RAM would be nice. I only paid $10 for this box(!) but I believe I will invest in another 2 gig of RAM when my finances permit...
    You don't need to spend much to get a great performance boost! e.g. a quick search on eBay shows 2GB ram for $7.99 with free shipping.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    You don't need to spend much to get a great performance boost! e.g. a quick search on eBay shows 2GB ram for $7.99 with free shipping.
    I just added RAM to my Ubuntu Server, which is running on an old XP machine. Huge performance boost. Worth the $30.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SailorTears View Post
    After talking about it for years, I finally decided to switch from Windows to Linux as my main desktop opsys. I went with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I have been using it for about six months. I am over much of the initial learning curve and just did a fresh reinstall.

I run an ole but reliable HP DC7100 CMT with a Pentium 4 3.4 gHz CPU and 512 meg of RAM (see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...title_r0001#A0 for details).

I use the generic video driver and the latest version fixes some problems I had.

The thing is, I do dual boot WinXP and Ubuntu is sooo much slower. Just comparing the response time of the Dash vs. the Start button but all program loads are so much slower in Ubuntu.

Why? Is it me? Does anyone else experience this?

But I ain't going back to Microsoft, no way.

Not really fair to compare a thirteen year old OS, designed for 13 year old hardware with a sub-1 year old OS on the same hardware.

I'm sure 12.04 is just as good on contemporary hardware as XP was 13 years ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    Not really fair to compare a thirteen year old OS, designed for 13 year old hardware with a sub-1 year old OS on the same hardware.

I'm sure 12.04 is just as good on contemporary hardware as XP was 13 years ago.
    I noticed link to Crunchbang Linux in your signature.
    Crunchbang 'Waldorf' is my favorite distro.
    It's up-to-date rolling release and it runs well on 13 yo hardware
    (eg. 500 MHz 128 MB RAM - try to install Ubuntu on such hw - good luck, maybe 6.06 using alternate install CD).

Comparing to Lubuntu 12.04 or WattOS R6, Crunchbang Waldorf has all the features but it's less resources-hungry. And it has newer packages versions.

By the way XP is 11.5 years old

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    That is sweet but Crucial.com's scanner tells me I need DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 • 184-pin DIMM. I am looking. Crucial wants about $60 bucks and that would be the safe way to go but I am considering alternatives. Especially, if I can find a match for <$10!

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast