Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is slow.

Beans

Ubuntu is slow.

I have a good computer and Windows 8 is lightning fast. Ubuntu is sluggish. It takes a second or so to display the search box when I press the windows key. If I start up the computer and do the following.

Windows Key -> Spot -> Enter [Launch Spotify]
    Press Skype Icon in Dock
    Press Chrome Icon in Dock

It takes about 5+ seconds to launch everything. On windows it takes like 1 second.

Now.. Windows8 is installed on an SSD but all Windows apps are on a standard HDD so I don't understand why general system performance is so slow compared to Windows.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is slow.

Is it a full install on the hard drive?

Beans

Yes. I put in the disc, rebooted my computer and ran the installation. it isn't running from a live CD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGiant View Post
    Now.. Windows8 is installed on an SSD but all Windows apps are on a standard HDD ...
    Maybe a silly question but does that mean that the Ubuntu installation is not on SSD drive? That would explain quite a lot.

Beans

A few suggestions in no particular order:

1. Check you have correct graphics drivers installed.
    2. Use lightweight Xfce desktop.
    3. Install preload
    4. Switch to a faster distro. (I personally use & recommend Debian.)
    5. Use the "lightning fast" Windows 8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Unity Dash uses semi-transparency which requires decent 3D.

What graphics card do you have, and have you installed a proprietary driver for it?

Also, check System Monitor to be sure that there's no buggy program in the background eating your CPU time.

As a measure, the first time I open the Dash it probably takes a second or so to open and fill up. Subsequent times, it's about a quarter of a second; near instant. This computer is a Core 2 Duo with Nvidia GTX260 on the proprietary Nvidia driver. One hard disk for programs, the other for files; no SSD.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; February 5th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Filipek View Post
    Maybe a silly question but does that mean that the Ubuntu installation is not on SSD drive? That would explain quite a lot.
    Could you elaborate please.

Ubuntu runs worse on my £1k 6/mo desktop PC than Windows 7 runs on my 2 year old £300 netbook...

I was expecting Windows 8 to run faster than Ubuntu as that occupies the SSD but Ubuntu isn't just slower. It is unacceptably slow.

I would say performance is equal, perhaps marginally worse than my 6 year old iMac.

Beans
    Hidden!

I haven't found ubuntu to be very fast on any computer, so i mainly use Lubuntu,
    much faster.

+1 to the reply by snowpine. I also have windows 8 on an SSD laptop, Very fast.
    Last edited by offgridguy; February 5th, 2013 at 01:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are two key points here

1. Windows on SSD, Ubuntu on HHD
    Solid State drives are much faster than Hard Disk Drives

2. The desktop.
    The default Unity desktop is not particularly fast. Ubuntu does not promote its self as being a particularly 'fast' distribution.

If you want a light weight fast distribution take a look at xubuntu.

You could try it on a live CD. Download is here
    http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/

If you like it there is no need to do a full install. Just change the desktop see here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

MS-Windows has an area called "Prefetch" where it stores often used programs. This is on your SSD, so the fact that programs are installed elsewhere really doesn't matter, the prefetch is on the SSD too.

SSDs are vastly quicker than spinning disks. If you want a far comparison, create a 10G partition on your SSD and install Ubuntu there. Please /home on the spinning disks, but put the main OS on the SSD partition. You will be surprised at how much quicker Ubuntu is over Windows.

If you want to see the fastest GUI on Linux, try TinyCore. It will blow away any version of Windows on any hardware. TinyCore with a GUI is small - 12MB last time I checked. It is great for special use needs, like online banking where only a web browser is needed. It doesn't have every program available that Ubuntu does, but the most popular 100 programs or so are available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast