Thread: Can't play sound in Kubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Can't play sound in Kubuntu 12.04

I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 on my computer, and I can't play sound when viewing YouTube videos. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't play sound in Kubuntu 12.04

Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Sometimes the playback device is muted by default. (I never understand why that would be, but it does seem to happen sometimes on Kubuntu.) To fix this problem, you need to run "sudo apt-get install pavucontrol" then run the pavucontrol program from a terminal or by pressing Alt-F2 and typing "pavucontrol" in the box that appears. Look through the tabs and see if either the input or output device is muted. You can tell by whether the little mute icon appears depressed or not.

Hope that helps.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Sometimes the playback device is muted by default. (I never understand why that would be, but it does seem to happen sometimes on Kubuntu.) To fix this problem, you need to run "sudo apt-get install pavucontrol" then run the pavucontrol program from a terminal or by pressing Alt-F2 and typing "pavucontrol" in the box that appears. Look through the tabs and see if either the input or output device is muted. You can tell by whether the little mute icon appears depressed or not.

Hope that helps.
    That worked! I went to the "playback" tab, and changed the ALSA plug setting from Built-in Audio Analog Stereo to SB Audigy Analog Stereo. Thanks!

Beans

If that was the issue, and not muting, you should look at System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon. That lets you select the audio device to be used for a variety of different situations.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Hope that helps.
    Divine intervention! Thankyou sejisensei. Now i can listen to youtube videos again for the first time in 2 weeks

Beans

I have trouble with sound too, I'm install Kubuntu 13.10 and all working fine, I also play video with sound ok untill today I playing video withouth have sound I had install pavucontrol and see the "taskbar" running sound but I can't hear anything, I had testing in Window 8 in dualboot and it's also play with sound ok, just Kubuntu I can't unserstand why it suddenlly can't play it !!??