Thread: Help .. dir etc.. I change permissions

Beans

Unhappy Help .. dir etc.. I change permissions

I change permissions the dir /etc , i can't execute sudo ...

sudo output :

Code:
    sudo: /etc/sudoers es escribible por todos
    sudo: no se encontraron fuentes sudoers válidas, saliendo
    sudo: no se puede inicializar la política de plugin
    As I can restore the folder with the correct permissions etc?

sorry for my bad English, I speak Spanish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Help .. dir etc.. I change permissions

I'd recommend you reboot your computer into recovery mode (or use a LiveCD), and manually change the permissions. /etc/sudoers, by the way should be 440, owned by root:root.

I had to do this once, not because my permissions got messed up, but because my sudoers file got messed up by a poorly written post-install script.

And, by the way, it's a bad idea to change the permissions on all of etc. The files in there, for the most part, have sensible permissions to begin with. Unless you're certain you know what you're doing, you shouldn't ever need to change permissions on anything within /etc, and then, you should only do it to individual files, not everything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dan000 View Post
    I'd recommend you reboot your computer into recovery mode (or use a LiveCD), and manually change the permissions. /etc/sudoers, by the way should be 440, owned by root:root.

I had to do this once, not because my permissions got messed up, but because my sudoers file got messed up by a poorly written post-install script.

And, by the way, it's a bad idea to change the permissions on all of etc. The files in there, for the most part, have sensible permissions to begin with. Unless you're certain you know what you're doing, you shouldn't ever need to change permissions on anything within /etc, and then, you should only do it to individual files, not everything.

thanks in recovery mode then the command would be next? , Chmod 440 / etc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    thanks in recovery mode then the command would be next? , Chmod 440 / etc?
    To fix sudoers specifically, do
    Code:
    chmod 440 /etc/sudoers
    chown root:root /etc/sudoers # this part probably isn't necessary, but it can't hurt
    Once sudoers is fixed, you can boot back into your system and use sudo again. If you still have other things that need to be fixed, you can do those with sudo later on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dan000 View Post
    To fix sudoers specifically, do
    Code:
    chmod 440 /etc/sudoers
    chown root:root /etc/sudoers # this part probably isn't necessary, but it can't hurt
    Once sudoers is fixed, you can boot back into your system and use sudo again. If you still have other things that need to be fixed, you can do those with sudo later on.
    because it will help me a lot. I love you