Thread: Acer Aspire 1 Netbook WIFI Issues (atheros card)

Beans

Unhappy Acer Aspire 1 Netbook WIFI Issues (atheros card)

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 1 Netbook D270-1865 with Windows 7 starter already installed. I've used Ubuntu for a couple of years and wanted to dual-boot both Windows and Ubuntu, but something went wrong during the install and messed up my harddrive partitions, so I ended up having to do a clean install of Ubuntu on the whole system.

I've gotten it to where I can hit the desktop without a problem, but now I'm running into issues with the wireless card. I've been looking at forums/help sites all day, but nothing seems to work. I don't have a way to connect the netbook directly to the internet, but I have another computer (running Win XP) that I can hit the internet on, so I've been having to download files onto a thumbdrive and transfer it over the netbook that way.

Can anyone walk me through this? After a month of messing with it myself this is clearly over my head.

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 1 Netbook WIFI Issues (atheros card)

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; July 3rd, 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Beans

*-network

description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller

*-network UNCLAIMED

description: Network Controller
    product: Atheros Communications Inc.

When I run the lspci command, it tells me I have an atheros device 0032, and the word "network" comes back in bold red.

I'm running 10.10.

Beans

I did download the windows driver from acer and attempt to load it into the ndis wrapper program (labeled windows wireless driver) from my drop down menu, but I can't figure out what to do with it. The .inf file downloaded, but I can't figure out if I'm doing the wrong thing entirely, or just missing a step.