Thread: Nvidia crashes again !!! although installed FROM REPO ??? ...

Beans

Cool Nvidia crashes again !!! although installed FROM REPO ??? ...

Hello, everyone

Last night my kernel updated to 3.2.0-37 (from 3.2.0-36) - and it updated the headers as well, and when I rebooted - I get purple screen and can't get to login ... !!!

Run a live CD and checked /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/syslog - and on both places it says

Code:
    nouveau: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error - 22
    and I got soooo much pi**ed off ... !!!

I assume this happens cause the NVidia driver can't start and it fall-back to the nouveau driver, but it's disabled now from the nvidia xconfig file ... if so - I've encountered this problem so many times before, on different distros ... and I thought that this will never happen again after installed NVidia driver form repo, and not downloading .deb file or source and compiling or something like this ...
    I feel like I'm about to get kernel-update-phobia ...

Why is this happening? ... and more important - can you help me fix it? ... cause I can't run the previous kernel versions too ... same result - blank purple screen ...

Info: Toshiba Satellite P855, Nvidia GT640M, driver version - 310, Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.
    Last edited by mind_exploit; February 4th, 2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Forgot a small thing to add ...