Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to boot Ubuntu (Windows boots fine, using EasyBCD)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu wireless not working.

Let me explain all the steps I took, it might help you understand my situation. I first partitioned off 65GB off my main HD of 500GB for Ubuntu, I split the partition up into 3 groups. 500MB for the /boot for Ubuntu (as mentioned on the guide), 4GB for the swap and 60GB for Ubuntu. After installation I rebooted and it went straight to windows. I used EasyBCD to put Ubuntu into my loader and find myself on the black "grub>" command screen with nothing to do.

If I stick the USB stick in, I can load Ubuntu using the "Try Ubuntu" and "Install Ubuntu" options, I'm not sure if it is loading from the OS on the partitioned drive or not, the drive that is for Ubuntu is just a regular disk drive with all the files on it. When I click 'Try Ubuntu without Installing' every session is a new one. No matter what files I extract into Documents or the Desktop, no files are saved when I reboot. As was my problem with the wifi dongle not working.

To me, it doesn't sound like it is loading Ubuntu from the drive, instead just booting a 'trial' session from the USB. I don't know if it's because I have a UEFI system or not, but I think that is having something to do with this.

I guess the main problems I'm having is Ubuntu will install but won't boot. I can't update grub because I can't connect to the internet. I can't connect to the internet because there's a bug with the dongle I need to fix, I can't fix it because I have no access to the actual system to update it properly.

Wish it was I can instead of I can't, you know? Lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You don't need a /boot partition

Just:
    swap
    ext4 for /
    (some might decide to make a /home as well, to keep personal files in place between installs)
    In that case you would make / about 20GB and assign as much as you can to /home (also ext4)

If I stick the USB stick in, I can load Ubuntu using the "Try Ubuntu" and "Install Ubuntu" options, I'm not sure if it is
    This is just Ubuntu on the USB NOT what you installed!

I used EasyBCD
    Oh dear. Don't use that - all I read is trouble.

I have a UEFI
    Ah....
    I don't have it and can't properly advise. But you do need to read any Sticky posts there might be about that.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

If I can figure out how to update the wireless through the actual Ubuntu OS I could run the Boot Repair, but the issue is just that, I am having issues getting the wifi dongle to update.

Does anyone know of a method in which I can manually install or direct the package to install the driver to the actual partition which has the OS?

I appreciate all the help, carl, you helped me narrow down exactly what is going on, or so I think. Lol.

Beans

Onigami,
    Internet access is absolutely not necssary to be able solve boot issues, although it may help in some cases.

Your current problem is not being able to boot and you are getting some good advise from carl.

I suggest you get your booting issue solved first, then start a new thread in "Networking & Wireless" section of the forums for the wifi problem (if arises in the installed system).

As you are already getting help regarding booting issue, would you like me to edit the title of your thread so you can get more relevant help?

Mixing problems in a single thread can make it too confusing for someone willing to help. So I strongly recommend to start a new thread for wireless, and get the title of this one changed to reflect "Boot Issue".
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Onigami,
    Internet access is absolutely not necssary to be able solve boot issues, although it may help in some cases.

Your current problem is not being able to boot and you are getting some good advise from carl.

I suggest you get your booting issue solved first, then start a new thread in "Networking & Wireless" section of the forums for the wifi problem (if arises in the installed system).

As you are already getting help regarding booting issue, would you like me to edit the title of your thread so you can get more relevant help?

Mixing problems in a single thread can make it too confusing for someone willing to help. So I strongly recommend to start a new thread for wireless, and get the title of this one changed to reflect "Boot Issue".
    How do I change the title of this thread? As I am having issues getting my internet working on Ubuntu, how can I solve my boot issue offline? I have downloaded Ubuntu Secure Remix and installed it onto a USB stick, only when I try to install it on Ubuntu I get the following error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package boot-repair
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Onigami View Post
    How do I change the title of this thread?
    You can not, but if you wish, I can do it for you since I am a mod

I have not used Ubuntu Secure Remix, but what I read about it tells me that it has boot-repair already installed (it is not meant to 'install' it, but to directly 'Use' it - good idea!)

So if this Ubuntu Secure Remix live usb you have created gives you a desktop like this, then you can click the Boot-Repair launcher button to directly launch it. You don't need to install it, as it already is there.

And since this thread has come too far dealing with boot issue, I still suggest to get its title changed.

Would you like me to do it for you?
    Varun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    You can not, but if you wish, I can do it for you since I am a mod

I have not used Ubuntu Secure Remix, but what I read about it tells me that it has boot-repair already installed (it is not meant to 'install' it, but to directly 'Use' it - good idea!)

So if this Ubuntu Secure Remix live usb you have created gives you a desktop like this, then you can click the Boot-Repair launcher button to directly launch it. You don't need to install it, as it already is there.

And since this thread has come too far dealing with boot issue, I still suggest to get its title changed.

Would you like me to do it for you?
    I would appreciate that a lot!

Unfortunately, I did have a desktop like that and attempted to simply run the program as all the guides show, it didn't work. I was once again met with it automatically booting to Windows by default. There was a point during the boot repair which it asked me to 'connect to the internet and click continue' which I had to click continue without connecting. I'm not sure if that's significant or not.

It did give me a text file which I didn't think to save, would those results help in solving my problem? Also, not that it may mean much but while I was sitting in front of that black grub> screen, I decided to tinker with the commands and stumbled across the root being in something like hd0,1 when there are hd0, 0-3 and Ubuntu is on hd0,2 could that have something to do with it?

Beans

Thread Title changed!

YES, that text file that boot-repair created would help us a lot. Please post its contents in your next post.
    (while posting the file's contents, wrap it in 'Code' tags. Follow the "Code Tags example link in my signature to see how to do it)
    Last edited by varunendra; February 8th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Tm remove obsolete part
    Varun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12