Thread: Choosing installation type when installing through VirtualBox

Beans

Choosing installation type when installing through VirtualBox

I have set up Ubuntu as a VM and am now just going through the installation process. The current window wants me to choose an installation type, either "Erase disk and install Ubuntu" or "Something Else". It is also says that the computer does not have any detected operating systems. I have Windows 7 on my computer so I am assuming that this warning pertains just to the virtual server.

My question is whether this assumption is correct and if choosing to erase the disk and install Ubuntu will only erase the virtual drive or will it erase Windows 7 off of my physical drive.

Ruthie

Beans

Re: Choosing installation type when installing through VirtualBox

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie84 View Post
    My question is whether this assumption is correct and if choosing to erase the disk and install Ubuntu will only erase the virtual drive or will it erase Windows 7 off of my physical drive.

Ruthie
    You assume correctly, it only sees the virtual drive, hence it saying there is no other operating system ect.

For piece of mind, you should be able to check that on the next screen by looking at the size of the virtual drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The installation is only concerned with the virtual disk you have created. There being no other OS, you should get that message.

However, to reassure yourself, look at the size of the disk being installed to and make sure it is the size you specified when setting up the machine.

If it is, say, 50GB and your physical drive is, say, 1TB, then you are installing only to the virtual disk.

Best wishes!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks for the help! As soon as I clicked on "Install" it showed that it was being installed on the VBox Hardrive. Better safe than sorry though. I would have freaked if I had erased Windows.

Ruthie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ruthie84 View Post
    Thanks for the help! As soon as I clicked on "Install" it showed that it was being installed on the VBox Hardrive. Better safe than sorry though. I would have freaked if I had erased Windows.

Ruthie
    Fortunately you have not freaked!