Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

So hear is another new linux user problem:

my hdd is 500 Gb and has 2 OS on them; Ubuntu studio and Artistx Now my question is the next one , if i want to erase the arist x partition and instead of artist x install another OS how can i do it,first installed is Ubuntu Studio,second Artistx ! In the photo you will see how the 2 partitions look,but i dont know witch one to keep,i mean witch is ubuntuu studio , how to delete artistx and use ishis space for another os ? Thank u !

Beans

Re: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

Take a look at the "mount point" column and you will see the current OS is using /dev/sda6 as its / (or "root" as it is sometimes incorrectly known) partition.

You didn't mention whether you took that screenshot in Ubuntu or ArtistX. If you took the screenshot in ArtistX and you want to replace ArtistX, then you should install the new distro on /dev/sda6. If you took the screenshot in Ubuntu, then presumably ArtistX is the unmounted /dev/sda1 partition, and so you should install the new distro on /dev/sda1 if you want to replace ArtistX.

Of course you should make full backup to an external drive (and then disconnect the drive ) before you make any permanent changes to your system.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Take a look at the "mount point" column and you will see the current OS is using /dev/sda6 as its / (or "root" as it is sometimes incorrectly known) partition.

You didn't mention whether you took that screenshot in Ubuntu or ArtistX. If you took the screenshot in ArtistX and you want to replace ArtistX, then you should install the new distro on /dev/sda6. If you took the screenshot in Ubuntu, then presumably ArtistX is the unmounted /dev/sda1 partition, and so you should install the new distro on /dev/sda1 if you want to replace ArtistX.

Of course you should make full backup to an external drive (and then disconnect the drive ) before you make any permanent changes to your system.
    Thank you verry much,the screensoot is in ubuntu studio ! So delete that partition,boot and reinstall ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DjRadu View Post
    Thank you verry much,the screensoot is in ubuntu studio ! So delete that partition,boot and reinstall ?
    No need to delete any partitions (when you install, it will erase and replace whatever's currently on the partition).

I have no idea what you mean by "that partition." Please use the correct name (such as /dev/sda1) if you want to make your meaning clear. If you took the screenshot in Ubuntu Studio, then Ubuntu Studio is /dev/sda6, and ArtistX is presumably /dev/sda1.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

Yet another problem,i got a friend to install (i installed) Ubuntu Studio on his machine,he enjoys it,problem is he wants windows xp as well, i tarted installing and when i got to the point of deleting,formatting,installing it wass a total blak out,how in the world to install windows xp as a second OS when first OS is Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio) in this case ? Thank you !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DjRadu View Post
    Yet another problem,i got a friend to install (i installed) Ubuntu Studio on his machine,he enjoys it,problem is he wants windows xp as well, i tarted installing and when i got to the point of deleting,formatting,installing it wass a total blak out,how in the world to install windows xp as a second OS when first OS is Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio) in this case ? Thank you !
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

snowpine thank you,oh and the Linux/ubuntu world its wonderfull:->)

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

And another question,i want to buy the Korg NanoKey 2 and i wanted to know if it is compatible with Ububuntu Studio,or ubuntu & linux in general, how to install what to do Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I have nanoKEY1. It works, I guess the nanoKEY2 will also.
    Just plug it, and it should be recognised automaticly as MIDI device. Just to understand, nothing will popup or show. It will just appear as ALSA MIDI device on the ALSA tab in Qjackctl or other views showing MIDI devices.

NanoKEY1 is poor built, it is hard to play on it, keys will stop working.
    Buy it only if you really need it - traveling with laptop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast