Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 Graphics Issues

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 Graphics Issues

Hi

Machine Details

I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell Dimension 2400 which has 2Gb of RAM, 2.2Ghz CPU , 2 hard drives (80Gb + 30Gb) and a Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI graphics card. This may/may not be relevant but the Dell Dimension 2400 also has an Intel on board graphics card (82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE). I appreciate that the machine is not state of the art but I am not trying to do anything graphical intensive with it. Previously, it had Windows XP running on it without any complaints.

Issue

My problem is that after installing the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card, my display is unusable when I log into Ubuntu/ Unity. However, the display is functioning in Gnome.

I would be happy to live in this state but I am unable to use any of TTY consoles (Cntl-Alt-F1 thru F6). The console has hung and displays an i915: render error detect, EIR: 0x00000010. I see this whether I fire up Unity or Gnome.

Question

What is the issue with Nvidia/ Unity? What is the error I am seeing in the console window?

Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be gratefully received. Googling has left me with bleeding fingers.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Graphics Issues

Not sure why gnome works but unity doesn't.
    Don't have Gnome installed to test.
    Firstly I would check the nividia driver is actually being used...
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga

After installing the nvidia driver in Unity 12.10 I had to purge the driver,
    install linux-headers and reinstall the driver before it would work. See HERE.

P.S. Since then I have uninstalled the nvidia driver as the nouveau driver
    works just as well for normal desktop use with my GeForce GTX 550 Ti card.
    Last edited by stinkeye; February 4th, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hybrid graphics can be problematic
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The main problem is the hybrid graphics -- it's not a simple matter of just installing video drivers. See below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's not hybrid graphics. It's a computer that came with Intel graphics, but the person added a discrete graphics card. Hybrid graphics is where the computer can switch between the two depending on performance, with the output coming from a single VGA or DVI port no matter what GPU is in operation. This person's computer predates the introduction of hybrid graphics, and to my knowledge there's never been an Intel/Nvidia combination (only Nvidia/Nvidia or ATI/ATI).

@pdb61: Make sure the monitor is plugged into the Nvidia graphics card, and use your computer's BIOS to turn off the integrated graphics entirely.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; February 4th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Firstly, thanks for the input.

3rdalbum is correct in that the PC came with an on-board Intel graphics card and that I have added a PCI card. I am not at my home PC but I believe that the Nvidia card is being used for 2 reasons. First, the monitor is plugged in to Nvidia card not the original on-board card and second, lspci | grep VGA shows the Nvidia card (but not the on-board card)

@3rdalbum: I can confirm that the monitor is plugged into the Nvidia graphics card. Unfortunately, my BIOS settings don't allow for me to turn off the integrated graphics card - the settings show ON-BOARD/AUTO only - I have selected AUTO.

I have flashed the PC with the latest (albeit old) BIOS.

The solution in Windows appears to be to use the Device Manager to deactivate the on-board card.(http://en.community.dell.com/support...t/8244525.aspx .. see the final post). Not sure if there is an equivalent approach in Ubuntu.

Thanks again for any input.

Beans
    Distro

On all my machines with onboard and then a added PCI graphics, the adding of the PCI device automatically disabled the onboard.
    I know there are BIOS toggle switches to do the said same, but I never needed to use them.

I'm moving graphics cards around all the time (nvidia is all I use) and it's water off a ducks back...
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Would really appreciate any other thoughts on this.

Specifically, what is the issue with Nvidia/Unity and what is the "i915:: render error detect, EIR: 0x00000010" error I am seeing in the console window?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried blacklisting 'i915' ?