Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice 4.0 Lotus Symphony GUI vs LibreOffice

Beans

Re: OpenOffice 4.0 Lotus Symphony GUI vs LibreOffice

I just registered to give my two cents.
    I get the impression that most of you didn't even use Lotus Symphony (thoroughly at least) and think it's user interface differences are just cosmetically. That's where you're wrong. I also don't understand why some start talking about MS Ribbon (I guess because they don't know Symphony's UI too well). The OP makes no mention of Ribbon. Symphony's UI and Ribbon are nothing alike. I personally use Symphony for quite some time for the sole reason of it's very handy and useful UI which merges all the office apps into one screen. Formatting and properties are on the right (which makes much more sense than Ribbon on top) so no, already limited, vertical screen space is wasted.
    LO and OO need to remerge, embrace Symphony's UI and the end result will be a product that a lot of people will want to use. I know it's stupid but so many of my clients are reluctant to use LO for the sole reason that it's UI 'looks' dated. They rather pay $100 for MS Office. Case point being Android (and others), where 'smoothness' has become a 'feature'.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MrMilli View Post
    I get the impression that most of you didn't even use Lotus Symphony (thoroughly at least) and think it's user interface differences are just cosmetically. That's where you're wrong.
    +1

I wouldn't mind seeing some of Lotus's features brought into LO. Tabbed windows would be a tremendous improvement. I really don't need half a dozen "windows" on my desktop anymore than I need a "tabless" browser. I understand that the Document Foundation has had their hands full, but there really should be no debate about adding this feature. If nothing changes, I would consider switching back to Open Office.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    I'd like to see Libre Office and Open Office re-merge, now that both are set free. There's no compelling reason for them to be in competition.

I don't have much opinion as to whether the LO interface is outdated. It's functional, things are for the most part in logical places, and I really HATE the MS Ribbon.

So what does it need? More color? More features? That's all fine with me, as long as it does't interfere with the speed and functionality I get from it now.
    There may some new user rebellion to the current UI when younger/newer users who have only used MSO 2007 and newer get their first glimpse at the current LO/OO UI. Like it or not ( I don't), people coming out of school only know one office suite and it ain't LO/OO. Any alternative UI is going to have to be interesting/familiar/intuitive to them. The current LO/OO UI is familiar to people who learned on and know MSO 2003 and earlier. I'm not saying LO should mindlessly copy MSO but asking new users to take a perceived step back in time may not be well received.
    Last edited by kurt18947; February 11th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MrMilli View Post
    I personally use Symphony for quite some time for the sole reason of it's very handy and useful UI which merges all the office apps into one screen. Formatting and properties are on the right (which makes much more sense than Ribbon on top) so no, already limited, vertical screen space is wasted.
    i use 4:3 ration on computer and having anything on the side (Unity?!) is actually taking valuable screen space. i am still not sure why the 16:9 ration monitors are better and so massivelly produced. but that is another thing....

anyway i use MS Ribbon at work. the most i dont' liek is it is difficult to locate some tools. it just takes me long time to find them as they are not where i though they would be. on the other hand the plus is istant change of themes, so i can really see how it will look like on mouseover, not in some small tiny preview window. not sure if this has anyhting to do with ribon interface...

anyway kurt18947 is right. the current interface is similar to old MS Wordstar. only back then you had letters instead of icons. then icons came. well and i guess now it's time to perhaps move on. we have touch devices and i really don't see how it would be easy to use LO on a touch device.

it serves me ok but perhaps to some younger generation it might look odd or archaic.

ah and since we have opensource going on, and freedom and such. interface should be the choice of the user. i would porbably still go with old fashioned current LO interface.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

LO UI is outdated. I am not sure the ribbon interface is the best choice, I would like to see other choices brought up as I dont feel LS GUI is half as OK as MS's Office offerings. But who can say..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Am I the only one around here who uses the HUD?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    Am I the only one around here who uses the HUD?
    probably not.

but when i write something i usually type it first and then edit it later. when i edit it i like to push the keyboard aways and use the mouse and i like to use a preview to see how it would look like. to me, it's more relaxing that way.

so to type for menues in edit stage seems kind of strange. the only way i could think of that HUD would be good is if i didn't know where to fins certain command in the menu. otherwise it seem ridiculous to type in menu sessions. i mean if someone wants to type to get to tools then learning shortcuts is way faster than hud.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

It has tabs.

I don't care about the rest of the features.

Beans

lotus symphony UI is OK, going by the screenshots on the IBM site. Would like to see that as an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This is actually the first I've heard of this. I don't know what to think about it. I guess Open Office has become irrelevant enough that it doesn't really make much difference if Lotus Symphony stays with IBM or merges. My only concern is that now our option for LS will be compromised with OO, which is not necessarily a good thing.

But my main complaint about LS is I don't like having everything in one window. I like to have my word processor full screen, but I only use one spreadsheet, which is a non-maximized window set at a certain size that fits the spreadsheet. Since LS puts everything in one window, the window size memory is shared between all of the different parts of the office suite. Other than that, they have some pretty cool features, though.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Oh, not again. /sigh It was discussed ad nauseam back in 2007. There's no consensus about Ribbon being better hence LibreOffice UI is NOT outdated. Case closed.
    Ribbon is not what makes LO's UI outdated. The fact that the UI has pretty much stayed the same forever, and copies a UI from 1995 makes it outdated. Ribbon is not the only new idea out there.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I don't really care about the interface. Is the "interface" of Latex outdated? You use an office suit to do spreadsheet or documents, not to stare at it and marvel at its beauty, when you are done you close it. The interface is functional and intuitive, which no one can deny and that is enough. Instead of wasting developmental resources on interface I think they can add more features or improving existing ones (and fixing bugs of course)
    It depends on who you are. Some people don't care about interfaces, but a lot of people don't want to stare at crap all day while they're working.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast