Thread: activate back catalyst driver

Beans

activate back catalyst driver

Dear all,
    first of all thanks for the help that this comiunity constantly gives to us!

I have an Acer Aspire 4820TG with an ATI mobile radeon hd 5470, video card on board and I am using ubuntu 12.04 with gnome 3. A couple of month ago a kernel updating disabled my catalyst driver and now I am using radeon driver but it is slower and more resource expensive than before.
    Since I made several kernel and x11 server updates, I was thinking that probaly now catalyst can work again. Did anybody try to enable back this proprietary driver?

Also, I do not have a file like: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Could I know a procedure to create and store back a backup of my actual configuration if something will go wrong during the procedure to activate back catalyst driver?

I am sorry, I know that similar posts are already be proposed in the forum. I tried to follow them in the past but I always got some troubles in activating the X11 server on boot and now I can't have this problem again because I am working with hard deadlines with my laptop.
    thanks in advance to all,
    Luca.
    Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; June 17th, 2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: fixed font

Beans

Re: activate back catalyst driver

You probably have switchable/hybrid graphics
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA

Beans

Re: activate back catalyst driver

thanks for the replay.....
    this is the result of your comand:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
    May be I am missing something. Does it mean that I can install two drivers at the same time and chose one of them still using gnome 3?
    Last edited by buoncubi; June 18th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.