Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Failed to download repository information

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    298

    Exclamation Failed to download repository information

    So I did an upgrade to ubuntu 13.04 from 12.10 and now I am getting an error like this.



    This is not my first time I got an error like this every time I do upgrades I get this problem and I do a clean reinstall after every upgrade

    Can some one help me with this problem, I am quite new to this

    Thank you in advanced
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cariboo; February 2nd, 2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: remove huge inline image and replace with thumbnail

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    The upgrade process disables ppa's on purpose, it's up to you to re-enable them after the upgrade is finished.

    The reasoning behind this is so that no unsupported packages are pulled in while the upgrade is in process, once it's finished, you can add what you want.

    Another thing you will have to do is make sure that all the ppa's you have listed actually have Raring versions, as there are some that don't update to the next version until after it is released.
    Last edited by cariboo; February 2nd, 2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added extra info

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    298

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The upgrade process disables ppa's on purpose, it's up to you to re-enable them after the upgrade is finished.

    The reasoning behind this is so that no unsupported packages are pulled in while the upgrade is in process, once it's finished, you can add what you want.

    Another thing you will have to do is make sure that all the ppa's you have listed actually have Raring versions, as there are some that don't update to the next version until after it is released.
    So for example "Grub Customizer" is giving me an error because it does not supports 13.04 for now and after/if they will push out a 13.04 release update will not return with an error ??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    and after/if they will push out a 13.04 release update will not return with an error ??
    Not necessarily. PPA = Personal Package Archive. It is the responsibility of the application's maintainer to make sure that a Raring Ringtail repository is available for that package. I have no doubt that Daniel Ritchter will do this.

    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    298

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Not necessarily. PPA = Personal Package Archive. It is the responsibility of the application's maintainer to make sure that a Raring Ringtail repository is available for that package. I have no doubt that Daniel Ritchter will do this.

    Regards.
    Thank you for the information one more question if you do not mind every time I've did an upgrade software source shows every ppa twice is there a way to automatically fix this I've deleted duplicates manually ?? any easy way to remove duplicates from software source ??

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    So are you getting 4 entries for each ppa? Usually you just get a line for the binary, and a line for the source, this is done automagically when you use apt-add-repositories, or add them via software sources.

    Additional information: For each ppa you add you should have the following two lines:

    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu quantal main
    # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu raring main
    note the second line I have commented out, where it says deb-src, this allows you to download the source package, and complie it yourself if you want.
    Last edited by cariboo; February 3rd, 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added additional information

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    298

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    So are you getting 4 entries for each ppa? Usually you just get a line for the binary, and a line for the source, this is done automagically when you use apt-add-repositories, or add them via software sources.

    Additional information: For each ppa you add you should have the following two lines:

    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu quantal main
    # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu raring main
    note the second line I have commented out, where it says deb-src, this allows you to download the source package, and complie it yourself if you want.
    every time i did an upgrade on ubuntu I am getting duplicates for every entree for example
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu quantal main
    # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu raring main 
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu quantal main
    # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/stebbins/handbrake-snapshots/ubuntu raring main
    it would look like this
    Last edited by Chelidze; February 3rd, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

  8. #8
    ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    4,996

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    every time i did an upgrade on ubuntu I am getting duplicates for every entree
    Thats the way /sources.list.d stores it. If thats what your looking at, nothing wrong there.

    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    298

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Thats the way /sources.list.d stores it. If thats what your looking at, nothing wrong there.

    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    So when I manually deleted duplicate from software source no harm was done
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    what does this commend do ??

  10. #10
    ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    4,996

    Re: Failed to download repository information

    Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    So when I manually deleted duplicate from software source no harm was done
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    what does this commend do ??
    That will just give you a print out of everything in sources.list.d

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •