Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

Disabling IOMMU in my BIOS and then adding GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft" to grub reduced my boot time from 57 seconds to 11 seconds. Thank you!

It also stopped the error message AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=02:00.0 domain=0x0016 address=0x00000000ce9f9880 flags=0x0010] from showing up in my dmesg log a zillion times.

It also stopped the error message audit_printk_skb: 132 callbacks suppressed from adding 27 seconds to the boot time.

My total dmesg log went from 1609 lines to 1004 lines. This has been the single most effective method of reducing boot time issues for me. The fact that it also fixed my USB 3.0 issue (which I hadn't actually noticed because I always used my USB2.0 ports on the front of the case) is just some delicious icing on the cake.
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Disabling IOMMU in my BIOS and then adding GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft" to grub reduced my boot time from 57 seconds to 11 seconds. Thank you!

It also stopped the error message AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT device=02:00.0 domain=0x0016 address=0x00000000ce9f9880 flags=0x0010] from showing up in my dmesg log a zillion times.

It also stopped the error message audit_printk_skb: 132 callbacks suppressed from adding 27 seconds to the boot time.

My total dmesg log went from 1609 lines to 1004 lines. This has been the single most effective method of reducing boot time issues for me. The fact that it also fixed my USB 3.0 issue (which I hadn't actually noticed because I always used my USB2.0 ports on the front of the case) is just some delicious icing on the cake.
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ozcyto View Post
    Here is my updated fix

First enable iommu in the uefi by restarting your computer and pressing delete to enter the uefi
    plug your usb mouse, keyboard and thumbdrive in usb 2 ports.
    save and exit the uefi
    Then In Ubuntu:
    press Ctrl+Alt+T to open up a terminal
    run the following command: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    Edit the empty quotes in this line to read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"
    save changes to grub and exit gedit and the terminal
    Open up a new terminal with ctrl+alt+t
    run the following command: sudo update-grub
    then exit the terminal using this command: exit
    Restart your computer press delete to get back into the uefi
    ENABLE iommu in BIOS.

usb, 2.0 usb 3.0 and networking all work now in Ubuntu, and disabling iommu in bios helps prevent windows freezes that was occurring if you are running a dual boot environment.
    If the above post helps anyone I am happy.
    A few new items
    • There is a BIOS release for this board (mb_bios_ga-970a-ds3p_f2i) 10/2014, but it doesn't fix the problem.
    • If doing a new build, change the BIOS , and simply add the grub command line to include "iommu=soft" your install will find the DHCP server, and this setting is automagically added to grub.
    • There seems to be some inconsistency in the iommu setting - I would suggesting setting your BIOS settings back to default (lets be honest, you have dorked with all kinds of stuff before you gave in and looked for an answer online), and then change the setting to "ENABLED" - this did the trick for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ozcyto View Post
    Here is my updated fix

First enable iommu in the uefi by restarting your computer and pressing delete to enter the uefi

. . .
    This issue affects me -- and this fix fixes for me-- Trusty 64 bit and a GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard.

However, if, even after I've applied this fix, I boot with my HP LaserJet 1020 plugged into a USB port, problems return plus a few "bonus" issues. Booting takes 3 minutes or more and I get lots of USB enumeration failure complaints. Then no USB keyboard support, no networking, and of course the printer doesn't work.I should add that the printer had been working before I upgraded the MB using the HPLIP printer support and tools. I can also plug in the printer after booting up and logging in, without breaking keyboard, mouse and network support, but the printer isn't recognized by the driver. It is seen with 'lsusb'.

Nevertheless, thanks to you and everyone else who got this issue resolved. I'm going to further investigate the printer thing. I'm not totally surprised by this behavior, it is a "winprinter" after all, but it is disappointing.

Beans

Hi, I'm looking for this motherboard "GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P" rev 1.0, on gigabyte website is new bios it still not fix the problem? are you recommended this board for ubuntu or is better look for other board (brand)

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by risakcece View Post
    Hi, I'm looking for this motherboard "GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P" rev 1.0, on gigabyte website is new bios it still not fix the problem? are you recommended this board for ubuntu or is better look for other board (brand)

Thanks
    I don't think I'd recommend this MB series to a novice doing his/her own Ubuntu installation. Given that the fix requires googling the right terms to find this thread or a similar one, modifying the BIOS settings, editing a text configuration file and mucking around a little on the command line, it might sort of spoil the "it just works" experience of installing and using Ubuntu.

Obviously, the above does not apply to a more seasoned user. (Still, I'm glad I encountered the problem in the privacy of my own home on my personal PC, not installing Ubuntu for my Mom or Uncle, etc. after making a big deal -- as I tend to do -- about how easy it will be for them to use.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobTheBold View Post
    I don't think I'd recommend this MB series to a novice doing his/her own Ubuntu installation. Given that the fix requires googling the right terms to find this thread or a similar one, modifying the BIOS settings, editing a text configuration file and mucking around a little on the command line, it might sort of spoil the "it just works" experience of installing and using Ubuntu.

Obviously, the above does not apply to a more seasoned user. (Still, I'm glad I encountered the problem in the privacy of my own home on my personal PC, not installing Ubuntu for my Mom or Uncle, etc. after making a big deal -- as I tend to do -- about how easy it will be for them to use.)
    THX for answer, I'm not totally novice (I'm on Ubuntu for a three years) but also can't say I'm a seasoned user. It's a little disappointing gigabyte is not now more linux friendly they are made nice boards... (I haven't problem fix the issue one two times but if it doing issue again after plugged some DAC, printer or whatever) that's not for me.

I need board for AMD Athlon II X3 445 with option unlock hidden core, GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P looks like best value option but after this thread ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3 looks like better option.

Beans

I have a new Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P Ultra Durable, however my problem seems to be a mix of the above.

I have updated the Bios to the latest and reset the Bios to Optimised and installed my OS. During installation everything worked out of the box, in 64Bit as well. It was when I went back to the machine afterwards and rebooted that my troubles began.

Now I have either the Networking (onboard or card) working without USB-3 ---- OR ----- I get USB-3 and NO networking depending on whether I have IOMMU enabled or disabled. So I have left the IOMMU enabled so I have connectivity and no USB-3, but I have USB 1&2.

I'm not asking for a fix, that will appear in time, beause I use Gentoo (haven't used Ubuntu for 6 yrs) and the forums are, I think, more for your own users. This post is FYI only

Beans

Thumbs up for ozcyto. Worked for me.

Without this IOMMU fix, no networking works. No wireless cards (pci-e or pci) and no wired cards (built in or pci) work. This only applied to 64bit, 32bit worked fine with IOMMU disabled.

Beans

Thanks man, i have been searching for a way to edit the ubuntu 15.04 kernel, and yous explanation, was just perfect! thanks a lot !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast