Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

Beans

Re: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

An enormous thank you to monkblah - That fixed my problem in one easy step. Now to the question - why would I not want iommu enabled, even if the motherboard would work with it disabled?

Beans

qwertybyrd I'm very glad this helped someone! I spent countless hours struggling with it before finally stumbling into the solution with some help on these boards.

Now I'm having a new problem actually installing ubuntu to my hard drive. Something to do with UEFI, I think. Will probably have to start another thread...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkblah View Post
    The good news: I was able to get my system working by setting IOMMU to ENABLED in the bios (it was set to disabled by 'optimized settings'/defaults).
    This worked for me! Thank you SO much!

Beans

Just wanted to add to this thread in case in helps someone -- I have also been experiencing this bug (Networking and USB not working with 64-bit Linux kernels on the Gigabyte 970A-D3 Rev. 3.0 motherboard). I originally posted about it in this thread if you want gory details.

The good news: I was able to get my system working by setting IOMMU to ENABLED in the bios (it was set to disabled by 'optimized settings'/defaults).
    Dude... I owe you one... I had spent hours searching and trying random bios settings... that one was down lower, so I hadn't got to it yet, was frustrated so dont know if I ever would have, lol. I was searching mainly by motherboard model, mine is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5

I threw that it so it hopefully pops up in someones future search and saves them time as well.

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boozer_2 View Post
    Dude... I owe you one... I had spent hours searching and trying random bios settings... that one was down lower, so I hadn't got to it yet, was frustrated so dont know if I ever would have, lol. I was searching mainly by motherboard model, mine is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5

I threw that it so it hopefully pops up in someones future search and saves them time as well.

Thanks again!
    I confirm that enabling the IOMMU setting fixes USB for the GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 3 Board. Thank you so much! Now I just need the onboard NIC to work and I'll be in heaven.

Beans

Update: I updated my BIOS to the latest version (FC) for my board (GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 3). I enabled IOMMU and reinstalled Ubuntu Server 12.04 64 bit. The USB and onboard NIC (Realtek 8111E) are now working. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Beans

Try seting IOMMU=yes on BIOS setup. All USBs and the onboard Ethernet should be fixed

Beans

:edit:
    Turning on IMMOU let me use network/usb
    disabling uefi allowed me to install Ubuntu
    Removing a corrupt gpt on the HDD let me dual boot.

I actually have it sorted now more or less.
    __

After getting this computer set-up I was having some issues with booting into Ubuntu as well, Windows 8 installed from a USB no problems.

I have the Gigabyte 970A-DS3 Rev.3 board, I got it yesterday and it already had the latest BIOS firmware (FD if I remember right).

USB/Network didn't work until I enabled IMMOU in the BIOS.

So, because I've spent all day trying to get this working, I just hit install, and everything went as I expected up until boot time.

It booted straight into Windows, I've gone into the livecd to make sure grub is installed but it just seems to ignore it no matter what I do.

Just wondering if anybody has a solution and apologies in advance if I made any errors, it's late and I'm brain-tired.
    Last edited by ironic-destruction; August 9th, 2013 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

Note that my motherboard is a D3, not a DS3, though they are almost identical.

Thanks. I have the GA-970A-D3 (edit/correction - 970A-D3P), as well, but with a Rev. 1 PCB. I flashed the BIOS to F5 before installing 12.04 x64, but this did not resolve the problems, not that I was expecting it to as I did not yet know the problems existed. I managed to work around the issues with trial and error. What was frustrating is that problems were inconsistent. I managed to get a cheap Acer USB keyboard and a Gygabyte mouse to work on the USB 2 ports (nothing else would work at all) and all was fine for a couple of days until I took the system down off the bench, disconnecting the keyboard and mouse. Upon reconnecting everything, the keyboard and mouse stopped working unless I plugged them into the USB 3 ports. USB drives were hit and miss. Some old Kingston keys worked fine. Some newer keys did not. USB hard drives did not work at all. The NIC never worked. I had to install a old 10/100 Realtek chipset card to make a network connection.

Enabling IOMMU in the BIOS seems to have resolved the issues - fingers crossed. One minor side effect, however, is that the system takes a few seconds longer to POST and boot now.

Hmmm... Usually I am an Asus guy. The Gigabyte purchase was deviant behaviour on my part.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by lah-ca; October 23rd, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typos and factual error

Beans

Ga-970a-ds3p

Enabling iommu in the bios will fix the Ethernet issue and make the usb 2.0 ports work for board GA-970A-DS3P, but usb 3.0 ports will no longer work on the back of the motherboard or from the internal 20 pin connector for the front panel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast