Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

Beans

Re: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

Here is my updated fix

First enable iommu in the uefi by restarting your computer and pressing delete to enter the uefi

plug your usb mouse, keyboard and thumbdrive in usb 2 ports.

save and exit the uefi

Then In Ubuntu:

press Ctrl+Alt+T to open up a terminal

run the following command: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit the empty quotes in this line to read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"

save changes to grub and exit gedit and the terminal

Open up a new terminal with ctrl+alt+t

run the following command: sudo update-grub

then exit the terminal using this command: exit

Restart your computer press delete to get back into the uefi

Disable iommu in bios, load optimized defaults and restart.

usb, 2.0 usb 3.0 and networking all work now in Ubuntu, and disabling iommu in bios helps prevent windows freezes that was occurring if you are running a dual boot environment.

If the above post helps anyone I am happy.
    Last edited by ozcyto; May 29th, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Beans

This seems to be working for me with Xubuntu 13.10 64 bit on with my GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard. Thanks for posting!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkblah View Post
    Just wanted to add to this thread in case in helps someone -- I have also been experiencing this bug (Networking and USB not working with 64-bit Linux kernels on the Gigabyte 970A-D3 Rev. 3.0 motherboard). I originally posted about it in this thread if you want gory details.

The good news: I was able to get my system working by setting IOMMU to ENABLED in the bios (it was set to disabled by 'optimized settings'/defaults).
    Hey, I just re-created my account to say thank you! My last three days were wasted trying to start my wireless card in a GA-970A-D3P (sold in Lima, Perú.)

This was weird, at first I tried with an Encore Rtl 8185 with xubuntu 13.10 32 bits without any success until I disabled the on-board wired ethernet in the bios. Then got an unstable connection, but worked fine with ndiswrapper.

Later I installed my (definitive) xubuntu 13.10 x64 and the card was recognized, the AP was detected, but it never "authenticated" (and I was using mac address based authentication, i.e. no autentication per se.) The ndiswrapper complained about bad symbols so this was not an option.

Then I tried with a tp-link atheros 9227 and the same: the AP was detected but couldn't establish the connection. I even tried the compat-wireless with the same result, and every flag in the related modules and every option to the iwconfig command, and the crda configuration.

My next step was to try a bios update but fortunately I found your post looking for issues with the mainboard. Now with the IOMMU thing, the tp-link is working fine with its open ath9k module. Thanks again!
    Last edited by DiegoBravo; January 5th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ozcyto View Post
    In Ubuntu:

press alt+f2

run the following command: gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit the empty quotes in this line to read: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft"

save changes to grub

ctrl+alt+t to open up a terminal

sudo update-grub

exit

Disable iommu in bios, load optimized defaults and restart.

usb, 2.0 usb 3.0 and networking all work now in Ubuntu, and disabling iommu in bios helps prevent windows freezes that was occurring if you are running a dual boot environment.

If the above post helps at least one person I am happy.

Well, you certainly made ME happy! Nice one...I wish I could know to fiddle like you do! But I am even less than a noobie! hahaha Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Enabling iommu in the bios solved this problem for me, but I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P board.

Beans

I had same problem with a GA-970A-DS3P board, setting IOMMU to enabled worked for me too, only now my USB3 doesn't work.
    With IOMMU disabled the USB3 did work, while the USB2, wireless and Ethernet did not.
    With IOMMU enabled the USB2, wireless and ethernet does work, but the USB3 does not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="iommu=soft" to /etc/default/grub then run the command sudo update-grub in a terminal. usb 2.0, usb 3.0, and ethernet should all work. Also don't forget to disable iommu in the bios.

Beans

Wink Re: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 motherboard not working with 64 bit kernel

Quote Originally Posted by ironic-destruction View Post
    :edit:
    Turning on IMMOU let me use network/usb
    disabling uefi allowed me to install Ubuntu
    Removing a corrupt gpt on the HDD let me dual boot.

I actually have it sorted now more or less.
    __

After getting this computer set-up I was having some issues with booting into Ubuntu as well, Windows 8 installed from a USB no problems.

I have the Gigabyte 970A-DS3 Rev.3 board, I got it yesterday and it already had the latest BIOS firmware (FD if I remember right).

USB/Network didn't work until I enabled IMMOU in the BIOS.

So, because I've spent all day trying to get this working, I just hit install, and everything went as I expected up until boot time.

It booted straight into Windows, I've gone into the livecd to make sure grub is installed but it just seems to ignore it no matter what I do.

Just wondering if anybody has a solution and apologies in advance if I made any errors, it's late and I'm brain-tired.

Search for fix grub in google and download and install boot-repair. It fixed both my windows, after an Ubuntu install AND Ubuntu after playing with System Repair in Windows 7 and managing to bypass the boot files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 123consulting View Post
    Well, you certainly made ME happy! Nice one...I wish I could know to fiddle like you do! But I am even less than a noobie! hahaha Thanks again!
    Im glad it helped

Beans

I am Brazilian and I have a motherboard GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0).
    Friends, you have managed to install linux on this motherboard?

Thank you.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast