Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody's not playing fair! Virus...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Somebody's not playing fair! Virus...

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka Dal View Post
    I had been on the computer for an hour then opened up Kazam then about a half an hour later this Virus kicked in. I couldn't move my cursor and I could here the computer ramp up like on windows when you got a virus...Then I shutdown the computer. On restart I was working again for five minutes then the same thing happened again!
    With the limited information you are offering, this appears to be hardware related. I am not familiar with any current malware that lives in ram - if you were dual booting Windows and Ubuntu.

It appears you are getting a system freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

freshclam is for ensuring you always have up to date virus definitions without you having to do it manually, clamAV can run in Daemon mode if you want it to run all the time.

Linux in general is typically supremely secure, millions or probably billions of people use some form of linux every day and the numbers continue to grow, linux is everywhere from Microsoft's own Servers to Android Phones, more and more users are leaving windows behind because of it's massive security problems. Usually the selling point on two identical machines one with a linux OS and one with a MS OS is the security of the system and correctly configured the near impossibility of infection.

If you're getting a quarantine message please post the message. If it's hardware it could be ACPI or powersave related, sometimes these functions are not handled correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Which appears to be coming from a Windows' or Mac world.

A Linux machine can be cracked into... but it takes a very concentrated effort, such as social cracking, weak pass words, etc.

Linux is different from Windows or Mac, in that the system is hardened, whether it be the SELinux layer in Fedora or root disabled in Ubuntu. ClamAV on Linux, is to scan for threats to Windows machines - so as, you do not pass on malware to a friend using Windows, such as through an email.

And I would offer that there are several honey pot projects out there - people placing a Linux machine on the web with the challenge to crack it. Difficult to do, and a learning process to further harden Linux.

You would not do this with a Windows or Mac machine - in fact, most come loaded with third party protection programs to activate before you get on the web
    I am not making a gripe even though it may look like that! I am just observing the problem I have and trying to find a way to fix it if possible but, it looks unlikely!
    BTW, I always use a strong password...
    First and foremost, a strong pass word in Linux is key.
    And I'm sorry if I am looking at it from a windows view...Haha! joke...
    No serious I am sorry!

Beans
    Hidden!

OP, there are currently NO viruses "In the wild" you are likely to run into, even if you do, following a few simple precautions in the security links here, you are safe. Being new here sounds like you are still operating in a "Windows Mindset".

Please read the link below, Ubuntu Security, contains a section on "The Windows Mindset" ,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Your Ubuntu system if used wisely is effectively "toxic" to viruses. There are other worse problems than viruses, rootkits and other malware etc, safe practices will mitigate their effects as well.

Like lisati, I've been on Ubuntu 5 + years, not 1 virus, ever. They do exist, "rare as hens teeth, imo" I have installed and used Avast for Linux when I've had to share files with windows machines, there is no need for virus protection for Linux itself at this time, so little effective effort seems to have been expended on something this system really DOESN'T need. Cheers.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

BTW clam av is for scanning windows virus if I am not mistaken. There is no Linux virus in the wild as others have said, I have never had a need for anti-virus in Linux.

Your description is rather vague, what makes you think you have a virus?

Beans
    Distro

in a mixed enviroment as we all are clamAV and it's components help stop the spread of windows viruses and just in case there is a linux virus it stops that too

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    in a mixed enviroment as we all are clamAV and it's components help stop the spread of windows viruses and just in case there is a linux virus it stops that too
    I don't babysit Windows users. It is their responsibility to install Av on their ends.

Beans
    Distro

I wonder, was this a "built for windows x" machine? The power ramp ups you described seem like you have one of those streamlined for microsoft BIOS chips. If that's the case you're definitely having ACPI problems. This relates to powersaver, cpu stepping, and energystar functions. If this is the case there are solutions to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I don't babysit Windows users. It is their responsibility to install Av on their ends.
    Yeah, not trying to pick at the OP...

I do not understand the need of anti-virus programs on Linux. And friends and family with Windows 7 machines, malware protection seems built in. That is to say the normal channels of receiving virus's are protected: virus filters on Yahoo Mail and Gmail. I like lavabit mail, virus protection built in there too. Work email for folks I know using Windows 7, have built in virus protection.

I know of no one, in my circle of family and friends with Windows and Mac machines, that use third party security programs - they just go with what is built into the system.

I think you are seeing a rise in malware, malware injected into a system through loading apps. Again though, with Ubuntu, if you load applications through the Ubuntu software center - apps are filtered, your protected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just suffered another occurrence. This time I have an Idea??? It may not be a viri. I'll try again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast