Thread: RTL8192SU: Slow wireless in 12.04

Hybrid View

Beans

RTL8192SU: Slow wireless in 12.04

When I upgraded to 12.04 I suddenly started experience really slow download speeds with my wireless adapter. I'm using a PremierTek PT-H10DN, which uses the RTL8192SU chipset. Since it worked perfectly out of the box with 11.10 and the trouble started as soon as I upgraded, I'm assuming this is a driver issue. I downloaded a driver from the RT site, but when I try to install it it asks for authentication and then says authentication failed. Not sure why this is, or if installing this driver will even fix the problem.

I've come across a lot of posts of people complaining of the same issue with different wireless adapters. I tried most of the fixes, e.g., disabling IPv6, but none of them fixed my problem.

Beans

Re: slow wireless in 12.04

By "authentication" you mean you are asked for a password but it is rejected? That should be your "sudo" or admin password...

Beans

Yeah, I put in my sudo password, I get an error message, it asks again, and then it quits.

The RT help desk guy suggested uninstalling my current wireless driver and then trying again, but I don't know if that's the best course of action.

Beans

Any ideas? I'm starting to wonder if it is a driver issue, because I got some pretty good results with speedtest.net the other morning. But now I'm back to d/l speeds <1Mbps and u/l speeds around 1Mbps (I consistently get faster upload speeds, no idea why this would be the case).

I'd suspect the positioning of my wireless adapter, but when I stick a laptop right in that spot the speed's just fine. For the same reason I'm loath to assume it's variability b/c I have cable internet; the other computers in the house always have decent speed.

Beans

Still having this issue. Browsing the internet is like crawling over broken glass. Ping speeds to both the router and the printer that sites right next to this desktop are in the 100-300ms range (when it doesn't drop packets). I confirmed it's not a location issue; when I set our netbook next to the adapter and pinged from both computers the netbook got 10-40ms speeds and the desktop hundreds of ms. Since I disabled IPv6 on the desktop I tried also doing that on my router, but that did nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciate, or I'd be glad to provide more information.

Beans

Re: RTL8192SU: Slow wireless in 12.04

Try building the driver again. It sounds like you didn't succeed the first time.

Go back to the downloaded driver directory in a terminal and type

sudo bash install.sh

It should ask you only once this time.

If it rejects your password, you'll need to figure out what it is, sooner or later, to do any admin stuff in Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDillinger43 View Post
    When I upgraded to 12.04 I suddenly started experience really slow download speeds with my wireless adapter. I'm using a PremierTek PT-H10DN, which uses the RTL8192SU chipset.
    According to this, it uses the Ralink (not Realtek) RT3072 chipset:

http://www.premiertek.net/products/n...-H10DN-1W.html

Beans

Yep, you're right -- it's ralink, not realtek. The driver I'm trying to use isn't actually 2870; I copied and pasted that from the (out of date) readme. The actual driver file I have is rt5370sta.ko. That's what was created by the makefile in the tar the tech support guys sent me; there's a line in the makefile that says CHIPSET = 5370, but I'm not sure how to properly change it (just changing that line throws up errors), or if that's necessary/best.

Beans

I messed around with this a bit more and still no luck. I'm revisiting it now because I just had to reinstall Ubuntu, and whereas my connection was slow but functional before it is now unusable. The connection works, it's just so slow that most things I try to access time out. I tried rebuilding the driver, but I'm a little confused because in the makefile it has "CHIPSET = 5370", whereas my adapter uses RT3072. Am I misunderstanding, or is there something wrong with that? I tried changing the line in the makefile but then it won't compile. I've emailed the tech support guys at PremierTek, but they seem loath to give me any useful information, so any further suggestions would be much appreciated.