Codecs, VLC and GIMP

Beans

Re: Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

Preload.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nothing. Why fill somebody's computer up with bloatware they probably wont use. Ive gone through this whole thread and found only a couple packages that I use. The rest would be deleted upon install, just like 90% of the other programs that come with a fresh install.

Unless of course you guys want to go the Windows way...last time I bought a Windows computer I got something like 10 free photo manipulation apps, half a dozen productivity programs for schedule management and note taking etc, and a whole range of other pointless junk, all of which was completely useless to me. So yeah, we could include every browser known to man in the DVD, have six different paint programs, 10 media players, 27 different ways to manage packages, 412 different terminal emulation options, and a bunch of obscure terminal programs that 99.99% of the world doesnt know what to do with...or we could give people the basics they need and make it easy for them to install programs which suit their needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Nothing. Why fill somebody's computer up with bloatware they probably wont use. Ive gone through this whole thread and found only a couple packages that I use. The rest would be deleted upon install, just like 90% of the other programs that come with a fresh install.

Unless of course you guys want to go the Windows way...last time I bought a Windows computer I got something like 10 free photo manipulation apps, half a dozen productivity programs for schedule management and note taking etc, and a whole range of other pointless junk, all of which was completely useless to me. So yeah, we could include every browser known to man in the DVD, have six different paint programs, 10 media players, 27 different ways to manage packages, 412 different terminal emulation options, and a bunch of obscure terminal programs that 99.99% of the world doesnt know what to do with...or we could give people the basics they need and make it easy for them to install programs which suit their needs.
    Oh man why did you have to remind me of the nightmares of preinstalled Windows? Now I can't sleep well at night.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    ...or we could give people the basics they need and make it easy for them to install programs which suit their needs.
    Bodhi Linux
    http://www.bodhilinux.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NobleYorkshire View Post

Also, I think it is important to maintain as said in this thread the feeling of customization by offering a minimal installation where you can pick and choose what you want to install based off a smaller/minimal Ubuntu package.
    I guess the NetInstall version can do just that. During installation it can pull additional software from the repositories based on what you selected, so there'll be no installed programs you didn't need.

Beans

there are already releases that have about anything already installed. Super Os, Ultimate edition etc.

As i recall Zorin has chrome as the default browser.

recently i had to install windows on a computer. with every program i installed came a banshee scream at all the useless bloatware it wanted to install. Just one example, if i had installed all the tool bars the software wanted to the browser window would have ceased to exist.

One of the beauties of Ubuntu and its derivatives is i can install what i use and dump what i dont.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by addegsson View Post
    Preload.
    Ok, good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    don't really see why it wouldn't be viable. it doesn't even have to be that complicated just make a list of popular software and let the user check a box what to install. they could even include the software on the disc so no internet connection is required. checking the box for a particular piece of software would be just like entering an unlock code for on disc dlc in a videogame. i don't see why a distro can't be easy but also offer choice at the same time. and why would new users be overwhelmed. it's like going to mcdonalds and them asking if you want fries and a coke with your burger. just give a list with a short accurate description of a piece of software and a screenshot and let the user decide whether or not to install it on the final system.
    You're describing the Ubuntu minimal iso. They already have that.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    You're describing the Ubuntu minimal iso. They already have that.
    My experience with the Ubuntu mini iso was I installed the system then was left with a command line. Then I apt-got xfce and other stuff I wanted. That still has to fetch all the stuff from the online repos. What I'm suggesting is that we are given a graphical environment with stuff that people expect from a modern operating system like a web browser and office suite and then let them chose additional stuff that is included on the disc but not installed without the users wish. One of the reasons why I like the idea of Ubuntu is that it is a very quick install and all my hardware works out of the box. That being said I hate the fact that they assume I want a twitter client,email,cloud based storage, and a bunch of other stuff by default. Ubuntu tries to please everybody all the time and and you can't really do that. I think that the goal should be to provide in the default install what can reasonably be expected to be there. For example I expect a car to have breaks but I don't necessarily think it should include ass warmers by default. But if i ask and pay a premium I can have the ass warmers you just have to special order it. But i don't expect to have to build the car from the ground up just to be able to have a car do I? That's all I'm suggesting for Ubuntu. Provide sane defaults and then provide options for the rest. It seems like in linux there really isn't any middle ground. You are either forced to remove stuff that you don't want post install or start from absolutely nothing and add everything.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast