Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Drives via script

Beans

Mount Drives via script

Hi all,

For my own reasons, i want to create a script to mount some network drives. I was using fstab; however, for some reason my wireless is intermittent with ubuntu 12.04 and it causes hangups while booting and shutting down. In the meantime, i'm trying to write a simple script that will do this for me once i'm logged in at the desktop.

Here is what i have so far:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    clear
    echo "Network Drive Mount"
    echo "-----------------------------------"
    echo "What to do?"
    echo "1: Mount Documents"
    echo "2: Mount Music"
    echo "3: Mount Pictures"
    echo "4: Mount Server Drive F"
    echo "5: Mount ALL OF THE ABOVE"
    read userselect

if [ "$userselect" = 1 ]; then
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/documents/nate/ /home/nate/Documents
    fi

if [ "$userselect" = 2]; then
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/music /home/nate/Music
    fi

if [ "$userselect" = 3]; then
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/pictures /home/nate/Pictures
    fi

if [ "$userselect" = 4]; then
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/ /home/nate/mounts
    fi

if [ "$userselect" = 5]; then
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/documents/nate/ /home/nate/Documents
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/music /home/nate/Music
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/storage/skydrive/pictures /home/nate/Pictures
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/path/secured/.creds //192.168.1.4/f/ /home/nate/mounts
    fi
    Right now the only option that works is number 1. All the other options just exit the script without entering the if statements. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. First time writing a bash script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Mount Drives via script

When checking that two things are equal, use '=='. A single '=' is used for assigning a value to something.

Code:
    if [ "$userselect" == 1 ]; then

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Use elif to combine statements

so
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash clear 
    echo "What to do?" 
    read userselect  

elif [ "$userselect" = 2]; then 

elif [ "$userselect" = 3]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 4]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 5]; then 
    fi
    Note last elif test for =5 could be default so just 'else' that is key 1-4 do as asked anything else just do all
    When checking that two things are equal, use '=='. A single '=' is used for assigning a value to something.
    This is true for c,c++,c# and a number of other programming but not here in bash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi
    just as a hint:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo -n "your selection: "
    read userselect

case $userselect in
    1) sudo mount ..... ;;
    2) sudo mount ..... ;;
    3) sudo mount ..... ;;
    4) sudo mount ..... ;;
    5) sudo mount ..... ;;
    *) echo "wrong input"
    exit 1
    esac

# and you can apend your /etc/sudoers with: your_name ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/bash, /bin/mount
    # to avoid the password question.

have fun with bash
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post

Code:
    if [ "$userselect" == 1 ]; then
    Oh yes! it was late last night and i think my brain just shut down! I can't believe i missed this.

Edit:
    Note last elif test for =5 could be default so just 'else' that is key 1-4 do as asked anything else just do all
    This is true for c,c++,c# and a number of other programming but not here in bash
    Ah! I was wondering after reading through the tutorial again.

Thanks for the additional posts. You guys more than helped answer my question! And thanks for the no password method! You guys rock!
    Last edited by n8af; February 1st, 2013 at 02:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    Use elif to combine statements

so
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash clear 
    echo "What to do?" 
    read userselect  

elif [ "$userselect" = 2]; then 

elif [ "$userselect" = 3]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 4]; then

elif [ "$userselect" = 5]; then 
    fi
    I tried this method but it did the same thing. It only mounts the first option and ignores the others.
    However, I did try the other format:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo -n "your selection: "
    read userselect

case $userselect in
    1) sudo mount ..... ;;
    2) sudo mount ..... ;;
    3) sudo mount ..... ;;
    4) sudo mount ..... ;;
    5) sudo mount ..... ;;
    *) echo "wrong input"
    exit 1
    esac
    This one works great!

I also tried inserting the no password command into the sudoers file (using visudo command); however, it still asks for the password. This isn't a very big deal, i can live with it. Thanks though!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You know the example I looked at states just one = for equivalence
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intr...O-6.html#ss6.2

but it is two
    http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/06/...al-expression/

or can you do both?
    Not experienced with bash as you can see

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    You know the example I looked at states just one = for equivalence
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intr...O-6.html#ss6.2

but it is two
    http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/06/...al-expression/

or can you do both?
    Not experienced with bash as you can see
    I tried it with both a single '=' and a double '==' with the same result. I'm not sure as to why it was skipping the other options while using the if/then/else conditions.

I thought maybe my mount command wasn't written correctly until i tried the other menu option in which i just cut and pasted the mount command and now it works.

Nevertheless, thanks for your input!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I think it is something very trivial and it confused me into writing nonsense.

I took the script, changed the = to == and it worked ... well it did after I added spaces before the closing square brackets.

Code:
    = 2]; then
    Code:
    = 2 ]; then
    I think that was the problem. Both styles of equality test work (once the brackets are fixed). Obviously the case statement takes the brackets out of the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast