Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device (AT&T)

Beans

Re: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Device (AT&T)

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    No. It runs some Windows applications, and the same goes for Wine.

My best unscientific and untested advice is to try a fresh install of the development version (13.04).
    Has there been documented success with 13.04 and dell 5530 mobile broadband device?

Additionally, is there a place to download linux-specific drivers for this card? Obviosly support.dell.com doesnt have them.

Beans

So, I ran the nm-tool command, and the first thing to pop up was the wwan0 Mobile Broadband card. I noticed the driver associated with this card is called "cdc_ether". If I could get real linux drivers for this device, the perhaps it might help. I also downloaded wicd from the app store. this lead to another dead end.

bernadette@LatitudeE4300:~$ nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: wwan0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Type: Mobile Broadband (GSM)
    Driver: cdc_ether
    State: disconnected
    Default: no

Capabilities:

bernadette@LatitudeE4300:~$ exit

Beans

OK....so I did a "lsusb" command, and it turns out the Dell 5530 shows up as:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 413c:8147 Dell Computer Corp. F3507g Mobile Broadband Module.

Isn't that the model number for the Ericsson WWAN Mobile Broadband card?????

stranger.....and stranger....

I don't think I've ever had such issues with windows OS .... at all.

Off I go to do more research.

I would love to use Ubuntu as a daily driver for some of my project managers....but most of their machines have this onboard Mobile Broadband card installed. If they can't work remotely, then this is not even a possiblilty.

@mörgæs : I looked into dev version 13.04, but since its not as stable, this would not be viable as a "daily driver" either. Thanks much for you suggestion. Please keep 'em coming!! I simply MUST resolve this issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by baddison1 View Post
    So, I ran the nm-tool command, and the first thing to pop up was the wwan0 Mobile Broadband card. I noticed the driver associated with this card is called "cdc_ether". If I could get real linux drivers for this device, the perhaps it might help.
    What makes you think "cdc_ether" isn't the real linux driver for this card? It is.

And the card is a Dell branded Ericsson card, yes. And as you already found out, it is supported in NetworkManager/ModemManager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bmork View Post
    What makes you think "cdc_ether" isn't the real linux driver for this card? It is.

And the card is a Dell branded Ericsson card, yes. And as you already found out, it is supported in NetworkManager/ModemManager.
    sadly, instill cannot get this card to connect to AT&T. I believe I've tried all the recommendations on the forum. Is there anyone here who is successfully using their Dell 5530 Mobile Broadband card with Ubuntu 12.04? I wish I could find a step-by-step setup/guide

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by baddison1 View Post

@mörgæs : I looked into dev version 13.04, but since its not as stable, this would not be viable as a "daily driver" either. Thanks much for you suggestion. Please keep 'em coming!! I simply MUST resolve this issue.
    You're welcome. My advice is still that you try 13.04. You need more testing and less investigation.

Until you try, you don't know how stable 13.04 is on your hardware. My 10.04 setup was installed at an early alpha stage and has been updated to today without major problems.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    You're welcome. My advice is still that you try 13.04. You need more testing and less investigation.

Until you try, you don't know how stable 13.04 is on your hardware. My 10.04 setup was installed at an early alpha stage and has been updated to today without major problems.
    you're correct! i'm headed over to 13.04 now....will keep you all posted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have no idea why installing a still testing, unreleased version is going to make any difference. But hey, why not? Expect unexpected breakages even if it does fix your wireless issue, and I see no reason it will.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I have no idea why installing a still testing, unreleased version is going to make any difference. But hey, why not? Expect unexpected breakages even if it does fix your wireless issue, and I see no reason it will.
    Definitely what I was thinking...but its worth a shot. I am really confused as to why all my searches do not turn up a working fix for this. Is this such an oddity trying to get the Mobile Broadband card to work?

I've seen suggestions on rebuilding the kernel?!?! what - I don't even know what that means...I'm so new to this.

I've seen suggestions on using wicd -didn't work. I've seen suggestions on using gnome-ppp...couldn't even find a suitable download for that one.
    I will continue to search and test and investigate - it is absoultely crucial that I get this working. I would love to be able to deply ubuntu on the laptops in our company, but they all have this mobile broadband card in them....about 40 laptops. So this is a must for me.

I really appreciate all the replies, ideas and suggestions this far. I am confident with all the knowledge in this community, I will get this working just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you are wanting to deploy Ubuntu in a production situation you definitely don't want 13.04. The LTS releases are designed for this very purpose (production machines and servers which need to be stable, reliably on and up for long periods).

12.04 LTS. I hope you can find a fix for this so you can deploy Ubuntu on those forty machines. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast