Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Actually, last night...the installation went fine...i must say that so far it is running very well, and feels pretty stable for a "testing distro"...

And all the "pluses" i noted on the live session that are improvements on my hardware over the 12.10 version are also present in the hard installed version...

In 12.10 i had this bug where when i did a shut down, the computer would shut down and then turn itself back on after about 5 seconds..

In 13.04 that bug is gone...normal shutdown

In 12.10, even though i set my screen to go black after 30 minutes, it would always turn off after 10 minutes (the default setting) unless i came out of suspend first...

In 13.04, that bug is also gone for me!

Also, power management and performance is definitely improved over 12.10 on my new Toshiba Laptop w/intel....

Problems encountered on 13.04:

1) When installing ubuntu restricted extras, the microsoft fonts license agreement did not come up...everything else got installed except for those fonts...ended up having to do it in the terminal where the agreement DID come up...

2) When going to itunes movie trailers website, i noticed that the Quicktime Videos are "tearing" they keep going from normal to distorted...This does not happen on my ubuntu 12.10 (which i am dual booting with)...

3) When i go to System Settings and adjust the mousepad settings,
    the default on pointer speed is about in the middle, and i like to lower it down to the lowest setting...

Once i do that, if i leave the System Settings, the Pointer Speed goes right back to the default setting...only way i can keep it set (for the session) is to leave it open....

Has anyone else working with 13.04 noticed any of these particular bugs? Especially #3?

How can i find out if these bugs have been reported...also: how do i go about filing or adding to bug reports for 13.04?

Otherwise, i am very glad i installed it and certainly, it runs quite well...I had updates for it yesterday and today and didn't see any smoke coming out of my laptop (LOL) so...so far, so good...
    Last edited by craig10x; January 31st, 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Well I Did It (installed ubuntu 13.04)

pointer speed settings has been totally broken for me since ubuntu 12.04
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!

I've seen your bug #1, but it might not be the bug you think it is. I eventually found the EULA window behind the Software Center, on the screen but hidden. The download I was attempting - Ubuntu-Restricted-Extras - just hung there for a long time. I thought it had crashed, but instead it was awaiting my input.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcellius View Post
    I've seen your bug #1, but it might not be the bug you think it is. I eventually found the EULA window behind the Software Center, on the screen but hidden. The download I was attempting - Ubuntu-Restricted-Extras - just hung there for a long time. I thought it had crashed, but instead it was awaiting my input.
    yeah, actually i did notice it under the software center eventually, but by that point i no longer had the option of installing the fonts and it just finished installing the rest...
    It was take too long to finish and that is when i discovered that... That's why i ended up doing it in the terminal instead...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    pointer speed settings has been totally broken for me since ubuntu 12.04
    They have been kind of troublesome for the last few editions...it is changed again for 13.04 (looks different then it was in 12.04 and 12.10) and i guess ubuntu gets that program from gnome itself, so perhaps it is a bug from their side...

How would one check to see if this bug in 13.04 has been reported?
    Also, wondering if anyone else using 13.04 has experienced it too, or am i the only "lucky one"...

Beans

as far as 3 -
    using a laptop/touchpad though don't think much different than mouse
    The settings 'pointer speed' scales from 1.0, (far left), to 10.0 (far right.
    After changing, closing & re-opening it always goes back to near middle (about 5.75), but does not affect the previous setting.
    This can be confirmed (or not) in dconf (dconf-editor > screen show for touchpad
    At least here 10.0 is too slow so up to 136.0 in dconf, when opening the settings panel it shows near middle but is actually what I set in dconf..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    They have been kind of troublesome for the last few editions...it is changed again for 13.04 (looks different then it was in 12.04 and 12.10) and i guess ubuntu gets that program from gnome itself, so perhaps it is a bug from their side...

How would one check to see if this bug in 13.04 has been reported?
    Also, wondering if anyone else using 13.04 has experienced it too, or am i the only "lucky one"...
    I usually just google the problem the best I can, and if I don't come across any bug reports for it then I report it, if you do end up reporting a duplicate the most that happens is someone marks it as a duplicate of the very bug you were looking for

As a side note I've just installed 13.04 as well. 12.10 has been so unstable and problematic for me I thought I might as well be on the bleeding edge . 13.04 actually seems smoother sailing so far, I have high hopes for this release, only crash I had was dconf-service crashing on the live cd, no other crashes after getting it installed and updating. Also my brightness keys finally work out of the box on my lemur ultra without needing to use the system76 driver
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

I upgraded from 12.10 today and now my screen doesn't turn off after 10mins of inactivity. I would never have considered jumping into 12.10 early but this new kernel makes my system run smooth and fast. Also seems to be very stable.

Hope the next update doesn't bork it.

GL

Beans
    Distro

Interesting mc4man...so are you saying that when i set that pointer speed to the lowest setting, it is actually retaining that setting when i close the systems settings programs, even though if i open it again, it give the appearance that it has returned to the default again?

Just wanted to clarify...i was assuming that if it shows it went back to the default, that in fact, it was actually changing me back again...

I'll have to try to see if i can find a bug report on this...apparently, others are experiencing it too..by the way, i am using the touchpad on my laptop also...not any external mouse...

@ Curtis6767: in my 12.10 the screen goes off after the 10 min default but when i change to any other listed time, it still stays at going off in 10 minutes!
    Apparently the Screensaver feature had weird quirks in 12.10...are you saying that you upgraded to 13.04? And you got the problem with your latest update? If so, that could well get straightened out by final release...or by doing a "clean install" as sometimes problems do develop upon doing an upgrade...

@ nJ3sus: That is great to hear! And that is my experience too so far...12.10 was a bit buggy for me too (some of the problems i had i noted in my first post) and they are gone with 13.04 and this isn't even finalized yet...so it looks like it is going to be a much better experience then 12.10 and i have also noted some nice improvements in power management and performance, thanks to the 3.8 kernel it has...
    Last edited by craig10x; January 31st, 2013 at 04:44 AM.

Beans

Craig10, from the moment I upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, my screen would turn off after 10mins of inactivity. I have always set the time to "Never" but this did not work in 12.10. It was annoying but I didn't know it was a bug.

Up until I saw your post yesterday, I had been playing around with 13.04 in VB. I was waiting for a time when Rhythm Box would start working and when I could also get Netfilx Desktop to work, as well. That all came together with this past Tuesday's upgrades.

Then I saw your post stating that when you installed 13.04 the screen bug went away. I was hoping that an upgrade to 13.04 would eliminate this problem but, as I mentioned above, I didn't realize this was a bug until I read your original post. Now I can walk away from the computer and come back later and the screen is still on, which is as it should be, if desired.

Also, I upgraded my 12.10 system, which is dual booted with Windows, using the instructions that grahmmechanical provided in another thread in this sub forum.

FYI I'm just a casual user, not a tester, nor do I have any programming skills and because I run a program that requires NetFramework I'm not using Ubuntu as much as I was 6 months ago and if this install gets borked I won't lose anything critical.

GL

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast