Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting guest OS screen resolution in VirtualBox 4.1.8

Beans

Adjusting guest OS screen resolution in VirtualBox 4.1.8

So, I'm running VirtualBox 4.1.8 on an Ubuntu 11.10 host, and when I run a guest OS (32-bit BackTrack 5 R1 with a KDE desktop, in this specific case if it matters), the resolution is stuck at 800x600.
    This (or some variation of it) seemed to work for others:
    Code:
    vboxmanage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any
    But when I run it, nothing seems to happen. Suggestions/other solutions?

Beans

Re: Adjusting guest OS screen resolution in VirtualBox 4.1.8

Install the guest additions if possible. This will give the guest full control of the virtual hardware offered by VirtualBox including the virtual graphics card. With the guest additions installed the guest should resize the resolution of the monitor to whatever the interface window size is or even fullscreen if you want.

Beans

Ok, thanks, I got it to work. Just surprisingly hard to find the guest additions .iso (found it here: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ for any future readers)

Beans

There's a menu item to mount a disc image of the guest additions if you're using the GUI version of VirtualBox. Manually downloading it is another option like you found.

Beans

I'm running VirtualBox 3.1.6 but when I download and try to install 4.1_4.1.0 the package installer says "error: conflicts with the installed package 'virtualbox-ose' and I'm not sure what to do.

My biggest problem is guest screen resolution:

I have Windows XP running as guest on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and am unable to resize the windows screen, which is stuck at 800x600. I tried running

but this did not change anything. I have the Guest additions installed. Under the settings details in Virtual Box OSE it shows I have 16 MB of video memory and that 3d Acceleration and 2D video Acceleration are disabled, but I cannot find a way to enable them.

I have an NVidia video card.

Any suggestions how I can fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@darvishjo,
    As the error message indicates major upgrades require you to remove the previous one. Your guest/guests should not be lost as they are not stored in the same location.

As for the guest resolution, if you are certain that the guest additions are installed in the guest, check to see if auto-resize is activated. (host+G) or the pull down

Oh and you might want to consider not tagging to a topic that is marked solved.
    Last edited by Perryg; January 3rd, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: hit wrong key preview/submit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by darvishjo View Post
    I'm running VirtualBox 3.1.6 but when I download and try to install 4.1_4.1.0 the package installer says "error: conflicts with the installed package 'virtualbox-ose' and I'm not sure what to do.

My biggest problem is guest screen resolution:

I have Windows XP running as guest on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and am unable to resize the windows screen, which is stuck at 800x600. I tried running

but this did not change anything. I have the Guest additions installed. Under the settings details in Virtual Box OSE it shows I have 16 MB of video memory and that 3d Acceleration and 2D video Acceleration are disabled, but I cannot find a way to enable them.

I have an NVidia video card.

Any suggestions how I can fix this?

You must load the proper guess addition. Not 4.1, but 3.1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ADeadCat View Post
    So, I'm running VirtualBox 4.1.8 on an Ubuntu 11.10 host, and when I run a guest OS (32-bit BackTrack 5 R1 with a KDE desktop, in this specific case if it matters), the resolution is stuck at 800x600.
    This (or some variation of it) seemed to work for others:
    Code:
    But when I run it, nothing seems to happen. Suggestions/other solutions?
    Thanks for this. Having struggled some hours to change the resolution, I found that this worked fine for me to install Windows 7 64-bit on an AMD Athlon CPU (Acer Aspire 5552)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Adjusting guest OS screen resolution in VirtualBox 4.1.8

Additional information

Note also that if you have Guest Additions installed and you don't use the VBoxManage command to reset the maximum resolution, VirtualBox assigns different size choices in windowed mode than in full-screen mode.

On my Ubuntu 11.10 system running VirtualBox 4.1.8 with Guest Additions and a Windows 7 guest, VB uses a default resolution of 1024x768 with a maximum of 1152x864 in windowed mode. In full-screen mode, I get the full resolution of my monitor as max resolution, 1280x1024.
    Last edited by Suncat2000; February 4th, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Beans

On 10.04 (windows 7 host)
    this is what worked for me:

1. have same version guest additions and virtualbox
    2. install the guest additions
    3. use right Ctrl-F to get both screens in the mode you want
    4. Select the "Auto-resize Guest Display" option on the View menu of VirtualBox.
    5. From Ubuntu System menu, Preferences, Monitors, make sure the checkbox that makes both screens the same is off

The order of these might be a little off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast