Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro's amd Con's of LXDE DE on Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Pro's amd Con's of LXDE DE on Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The absence of a default wireless network manager in LXDE is very annoying. XFCE has the same problem. All I've seen online is instructions about installing wicd or some similar approach. To me, the absence of an equivalent to the NetworkManager application in Ubuntu and Kubuntu makes both the other desktops extemely lacking and would certainly deter a novice from installing either of them.

I installed LXDE on an older laptop just a couple of weeks ago. It is connected to a wired network and works fine. Wifi is another matter entirely.
    Lubuntu comes with the network manager, haven't tried xubuntu since 10.04 but it came with the network manager as well.

@OP

+1 for clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Maybe it's because I installed LXDE over an existing Kubuntu system with "sudo apt-get install lxde"?

I looked again through each and every entry in the program menu, and there is no mention of NetworkManager anywhere. This article on the LXDE wiki says that it is deliberatly disabled in some distros, but that it can be enabled with LX Session Edit. I don't see that in any of the menus either. I'm hardly a Linux novice, but if this were my first experience with LXDE, I'd be very frustrated if I needed to correct over wifi.

So perhaps a clean install of Lubuntu provides the network manager, but an installation of just the LXDE metapackage does not? Installing XFCE with "sudo apt-get install xfce4" didn't get me the network manager either.

Oh, and in the FAQs on the LXDE wiki, question 8.1 asks which network manager is provided with LXDE. The answer given is LXNM, but if you follow that link it says that program is no longer in development and suggests using NetworkManager and nm-applet. From my perspective, if the networking applet doesn't appear in the system tray by default, it's going to lead to a lot of hair-pulling by novice users.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 30th, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

"LXDE" and "Lubuntu" are not synonymous terms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree with snowpine.

A new linux user should not be downloading ubuntu and sudo apt-get install xfce4 or other DE.

That just installs a vanilla pack for a DE. A beginner should stick to 1) an easy distro, ie. ubuntu/linuxmint. 2)download a preset DE or flavor, ie. ubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu, kubuntu.

Having a new linux user, getting vanilla packages of a DE, and setting it up for their PC is ... logically not something meant for a new user.

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe it's because I installed LXDE over an existing Kubuntu system with "sudo apt-get install lxde"?

I looked again through each and every entry in the program menu, and there is no mention of NetworkManager anywhere. This article on the LXDE wiki says that it is deliberatly disabled in some distros, but that it can be enabled with LX Session Edit. I don't see that in any of the menus either. I'm hardly a Linux novice, but if this were my first experience with LXDE, I'd be very frustrated if I needed to correct over wifi.

So perhaps a clean install of Lubuntu provides the network manager, but an installation of just the LXDE metapackage does not? Installing XFCE with "sudo apt-get install xfce4" didn't get me the network manager either.

Oh, and in the FAQs on the LXDE wiki, question 8.1 asks which network manager is provided with LXDE. The answer given is LXNM, but if you follow that link it says that program is no longer in development and suggests using NetworkManager and nm-applet. From my perspective, if the networking applet doesn't appear in the system tray by default, it's going to lead to a lot of hair-pulling by novice users.
    Try with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and you will get Lubuntu's look and tools, not only the desktop environment LXDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Try with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and you will get Lubuntu's look and tools, not only the desktop environment LXDE.
    I'll try that. I do see people asking here about how to switch from, say, Unity to another desktop environment. When I decided to do that, the suggestions I read online said to install the lxde package, not lubuntu-desktop. If other people follow those suggestions, they'll encounter the same problem I did.

Personally, I cannot understand why the stock LXDE package doesn't include a network manager, even if I don't install the whole Lubuntu desktop. It seems like a basic and necessary tool.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Personally, I cannot understand why the stock LXDE package doesn't include a network manager, even if I don't install the whole Lubuntu desktop. It seems like a basic and necessary tool.
    The "L" in "LXDE" stands for "lightweight." Some people do not require network-manager and would consider it "bloat." Other people might prefer to install a different network app such as wicd.

Also consider that most users will be installing the lxde package on top of an existing system using their network connection, therefore ideally the package should not replace/supersede whatever existing network managing application is already in place.

Isn't it wonderful Ubuntu gives us the choice of "vanilla" LXDE as intended by its upstream developers, as well as lubuntu-desktop with customizations and additional software for a more complete and appealing out-of-the-box experience?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Last time I installed Lubuntu it came with Network Manager...
    True for 12.10.
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans

... it's going to lead to a lot of hair-pulling by novice users.
    That's why I prefer (and suggest) a clean install of the OS itself.
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sounds like you didn't install the desktop environments only. For xfce and lxde you install xfce4 and lxde respectively, not xubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop. Then you will get duplicates, as you've discovered, and a more bogged down, resource hungry beast than you had before ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 31st, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast