Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro's amd Con's of LXDE DE on Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Pro's amd Con's of LXDE DE on Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

Hello People,

I want to know your opinion about the pro's and con's of intalling LXDE on Ubuntu and Lubuntu. Which one do you recommend and why?

Unity was running very slow on my Laptop with 1GB RAM, it was very cumbersome and almost unworkable. So I decided to try various DE's. I installed LXDE, XFCE, MATE, GNOME Classic, E17. But now I notice there are lots of programs that have installed with these DE's, some f them are duplicates. I installed all through terminal apt-get from various how to's from google. Now that I have settled for LXDE I want to know how to remove these other DE's and the programs they brought.

Please share your opinions on these. Thank you folks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Pro's amd Con's of LXDE DE on Ubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10

If you like LXDE, just do a clean install of Lubuntu 12.10. If you like Xfce, just do a clean install of Xubuntu 12.10.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by musshan View Post
    Hello People,

I want to know your opinion about the pro's and con's of intalling LXDE on Ubuntu and Lubuntu. Which one do you recommend and why?

Unity was running very slow on my Laptop with 1GB RAM, it was very cumbersome and almost unworkable. So I decided to try various DE's. I installed LXDE, XFCE, MATE, GNOME Classic, E17. But now I notice there are lots of programs that have installed with these DE's, some f them are duplicates. I installed all through terminal apt-get from various how to's from google. Now that I have settled for LXDE I want to know how to remove these other DE's and the programs they brought.

I guess Lubuntu would be a tad bit more suited to run LXDE than Ubuntu, since it's specifically meant for that. In particular some conflicts may be avoided. But if you've already installed LXDE under Ubuntu, then IMO the trouble to do another clean install of Lubuntu may not be worth it. Simply log into LXDE and you won't ever see Unity.

As for removing the other desktops you can use Synaptic package manager to do so. If there is a meta-package for each desktop which depends on all the packages distributed with that desktop then I think removing the meta-package will select all the others to be removed too. If not, then you'll have to individually identify all the packages installed under each desktop and select them for removal. Be careful you don't remove any package essential for proper functioning like the log-in manager, and don't remove the packages that were installed as a normal part of the initial Ubuntu installation since LXDE, XFCE and other desktops still utilise many libraries and apps from GTK and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello musshan and welcome to ubuntu

IMO unless you have a ton of files already stored on ubuntu I'd do a clean install of Lubuntu would be better than trying identify all the other files to uninstall.

good luck and happy computing
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu-Mate 16.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Here is a link describing how to install various desktop environments and how to get a pure system of a particular kind (if you don't want a mixture).

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

I run Lubuntu 12.04 with xubuntu-desktop (to get some extra tools, that come with Xubuntu). After installing Lubuntu from a live disk, run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by musshan View Post
    Hello People,

My guess is that you installed a bunch of meta packages. A clean install of Lubuntu would probably be the easies tthing to do. If you dant want to do that, unistall the meta packages you installed.

Beans
    Distro

The absence of a default wireless network manager in LXDE is very annoying. XFCE has the same problem. All I've seen online is instructions about installing wicd or some similar approach. To me, the absence of an equivalent to the NetworkManager application in Ubuntu and Kubuntu makes both the other desktops extemely lacking and would certainly deter a novice from installing either of them.

I installed LXDE on an older laptop just a couple of weeks ago. It is connected to a wired network and works fine. Wifi is another matter entirely.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

To fully convert Ubuntu to Lubuntu:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The absence of a default wireless network manager in LXDE is very annoying. XFCE has the same problem. All I've seen online is instructions about installing wicd or some similar approach. To me, the absence of an equivalent to the NetworkManager application in Ubuntu and Kubuntu makes both the other desktops extemely lacking and would certainly deter a novice from installing either of them.

I installed LXDE on an older laptop just a couple of weeks ago. It is connected to a wired network and works fine. Wifi is another matter entirely.
    Last time I installed Lubuntu it came with Network Manager...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Last time I installed xubuntu it came with network manager....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast