Thread: Netgear WPN824v2 crashes trying to connect with new Quantal install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Netgear WPN824v2 crashes trying to connect with new Quantal install

This thread appears to be the same problem with no replies:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1913478

Every time I try to connect wirelessly to my Netgear WPN824v2 router with my new Ubuntu install, the router immediately drops all connections. It works fine with a Windows 7 install and the same wireless card, so I'm suspecting the problem is with the router itself. I've been able to connect once or twice, but I can't reproduce connecting reliably, and both times the connection dropped within a minute and the router plotzed and dropped everything.

My wireless card is a Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n adapter. Strangely, it seems to be running on a rtl8192ce driver. I can connect via ethernet just fine. There are no firmware updates available for the router and dd-wrt doesn't support this model.

Things I've tried:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 rate 2M auto
    No change.

Tried installing rtl8188ce driver from Realtek's website -- no help. Made sure build-essential and the appropriate kernel headers were installed, no help.

It's been a week and my frustration is palpable. Any advice would be a huge help.

Beans

Re: Netgear WPN824v2 crashes trying to connect with new Quantal install

I think you're on the right track in trying to build the latest driver from Realtek for your card. Their built-in kernel drivers are known to be problematic in 12.04 and 12.10.

I just built the latest RTL8188CE driver from Realtek without errors in 12.04 (even though I don't have this card). People do complain about make errors, though. You probably need to install some development packages; I was building something else recently and installed a lot of development packages which is probably why I am now able to build the driver error-free. I could list all of the stuff I've installed but it's way more than you probably need to build this driver. If I can figure out what you really need, I'll post it but someone else has probably figured it out.

FYI, it's common for 8188/8192 to be interchanged - I don't understand Realtek's naming methodology, but they tend to be used together. So I'm not surprised the kernel module uses for your wireless card is rtl8192ce, and I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, rtl8192ce is the name of the new module if you build that source code (for "RTL8188ce") like I did - there is no rtl8188ce module in the build. (Weird - yes.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Netgear WPN824v2 crashes trying to connect with new Quantal install

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    I think you're on the right track in trying to build the latest driver from Realtek for your card. Their built-in kernel drivers are known to be problematic in 12.04 and 12.10.

I just built the latest RTL8188CE driver from Realtek without errors in 12.04 (even though I don't have this card). People do complain about make errors, though. You probably need to install some development packages; I was building something else recently and installed a lot of development packages which is probably why I am now able to build the driver error-free. I could list all of the stuff I've installed but it's way more than you probably need to build this driver. If I can figure out what you really need, I'll post it but someone else has probably figured it out.

FYI, it's common for 8188/8192 to be interchanged - I don't understand Realtek's naming methodology, but they tend to be used together. So I'm not surprised the kernel module uses for your wireless card is rtl8192ce, and I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, rtl8192ce is the name of the new module if you build that source code (for "RTL8188ce") like I did - there is no rtl8188ce module in the build. (Weird - yes.)
    Okay, I'll try it again; maybe I missed something in loading and unloading the kernel modules.

Thanks for the pointer about the interchangeability.