Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    122

    nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    I'm about to buy a new machine from Dell and have been quoted for a box with the above graphics card. I need this to run dual-head. Can anybody tell me whether they've made this work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    23,847
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by pzs View Post
    I'm about to buy a new machine from Dell and have been quoted for a box with the above graphics card. I need this to run dual-head. Can anybody tell me whether they've made this work?
    Hi and some users have had issues with nvidia graphics but could you give us some more system specs, plus is it a desktop or laptop?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    1,482
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Generally nvidia cards tend to work great with ubuntu. I've done several dual-head setups with an older 5900 and my new 8600, both with relative ease and good quality. I'd assume the quadros will be no exception as they use basically the same hardware as the geforce cards. That said, if you could get a geforce in the machine for the same price, I'd do it, more people use them, i.e. they will be better supported in the community and otherwise. The only exception would be maybe if you plan on using CUDA to do crazy style matrix math on your graphics card, but if you were that smart, you probably wouldn't be asking around here =P Besides, CUDA will run basically the same on a geforce.
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    122

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Thanks for the quick response.

    T5400-Intel Xeon X5460 (3.16GHz,1333FSB,2x6MB,Quad Core)
    Memory : 8GB (4x2048) 667MHz DDR2 Quad Channel FBD
    256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 290 (ULGA8), Dual Monitor DVI or VGA
    Graphics Card
    Hard Drive : 750GB (7200Rpm) Serial ATA II
    Display : 19in 1908FP UK/Irish Black UltraSharp (1280 x 1024) TCO99 DVI-D (x2)

    The quote (1600ukp) seems to come with Windows XP and a bunch of other software I don't need. I'd quibble over this, but it's been hard enough to get the quote in the first place. This is the problem with "approved suppliers" - if they're slow you don't have a good threat to get them moving. If I don't get the thing ordered soon I'll be left twiddling my thumbs with no machine to work on.

    Any advice on this spec or managing Dell in general most welcome

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    35

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by pzs View Post
    Thanks for the quick response.

    T5400-Intel Xeon X5460 (3.16GHz,1333FSB,2x6MB,Quad Core)
    Memory : 8GB (4x2048) 667MHz DDR2 Quad Channel FBD
    256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 290 (ULGA8), Dual Monitor DVI or VGA
    Graphics Card
    Hard Drive : 750GB (7200Rpm) Serial ATA II
    Display : 19in 1908FP UK/Irish Black UltraSharp (1280 x 1024) TCO99 DVI-D (x2)

    The quote (1600ukp) seems to come with Windows XP and a bunch of other software I don't need. I'd quibble over this, but it's been hard enough to get the quote in the first place. This is the problem with "approved suppliers" - if they're slow you don't have a good threat to get them moving. If I don't get the thing ordered soon I'll be left twiddling my thumbs with no machine to work on.

    Any advice on this spec or managing Dell in general most welcome
    Just found this thread because I'm trying to install Kubuntu 9.04 x64 on my new Dell T5400 with dual quadro NVS 290's... and it wont even startx during the install...

    "no screens found"... I have tried removing the 2nd monitor with same result.. Maybe it doesn't like the dual quadro cards? I can't seem to find any info on it... and yea i know this is the ubuntu forums but this applies here as well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by pzs View Post
    I'm about to buy a new machine from Dell and have been quoted for a box with the above graphics card. I need this to run dual-head. Can anybody tell me whether they've made this work?
    I'd like to know what dual-head means.
    TY
    I am interested in the Quadro card which is why I am reading this thread.
    For my present machine if would be AGP not PCIe. Unless I upgrade.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospadar View Post
    Generally nvidia cards tend to work great with ubuntu. I've done several dual-head setups with an older 5900 and my new 8600, both with relative ease and good quality. I'd assume the quadros will be no exception as they use basically the same hardware as the geforce cards. That said, if you could get a geforce in the machine for the same price, I'd do it, more people use them, i.e. they will be better supported in the community and otherwise. The only exception would be maybe if you plan on using CUDA to do crazy style matrix math on your graphics card, but if you were that smart, you probably wouldn't be asking around here =P Besides, CUDA will run basically the same on a geforce.
    The quadro card is recommended for an animation program I want to use, called Maya.

    Just to let you know there are reasons, other than CUDA.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0000:0400
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinv View Post
    I'd like to know what dual-head means.
    TY
    I am interested in the Quadro card which is why I am reading this thread.
    For my present machine if would be AGP not PCIe. Unless I upgrade.
    Old thread is old. Dual-head means 2 monitors on the same graphics card.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Beans
    152
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by falconindy View Post
    Old thread is old. Dual-head means 2 monitors on the same graphics card.
    Do you have to have a special graphics card with two monitor inputs for that?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house.
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: nVidia Quadro NVS 290

    Quote Originally Posted by falconindy View Post
    Old thread is old. Dual-head means 2 monitors on the same graphics card.
    Yes old thread is old, but if the thread relates to a current problem, it's sometimes useful to resurrect the thread. When does a thread become "too old"?

    I didn't see an actual answer to the original question in this thread other than "nvidia cards usually work..." OP posted in 2008. It's 2013 and there still seems to be an issue with this card, at least with propietary drivers. See my other thread here:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2096541

    My system has two NVIDIA Quaddro NVS 290 cards installed, each with a dual head DVI port (via a splitter on each card -- 4 monitors total).

    Short story: Ubuntu 12.10 with the default nouveau drivers enables one card to run two displays, but the second card is not detected by the display properties (but it IS detected by the kernel). Proprietary NVIDIA drivers result in a "Video BIOS not available" message from the kernel (maybe from the driver?) upon reboot... and total system freeze.

    Should I just give up on this card with Ubuntu? Is this also an issue with other distros with this NVS 290 card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •