Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering installing Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Considering installing Ubuntu 13.04

You won't need to install the final version. Just keep updating and you will be there anyway. Enjoy the learning curve.

If you consider this solved please mark it that way from Thread Tools to help others and post a new thread with a descriptive title in the appropriate section for any other issues, questions, problems, etc. Good luck with it and wise choice to keep 12.10 as a stable install.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 29th, 2013 at 05:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1!

I take multi-booting to extremes:

Attachment 230739

There really is a rhyme to my reasoning. I perform SRU testing, some of which requires testing on bare metal as opposed to a VM, and sometimes I want to test two lateral installs - one with certain PPA's and the other without

But, you should never depend on stability from a testing release. In fact that's more true now than ever because no Alpha discs exist for most of the flavors
    Love the screenshot, gives me some ideas, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks Bucky Ball and if i run into anything along the way that i need assistance on, i will make a new thread...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd go ahead and install it if you're not too worried about having something go wrong. Make sure you back up your data, of course. Perhaps you might be able to help if any issues arise.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been using a development branch as my daily work OS for more than 18 months. But I always have another Ubuntu as my stand-by OS and I always keep my data in a separate /home partition attached to my stand-by Ubuntu (12.04 at present).

During the testing of Quantal I had to use my Stand-by Ubuntu to do my daily work as there was a period of several days when Quantal became unusable and a fresh install proved impossible.

I also have another Raring install that I will use for specific tests as I do not want to mess up the Raring install that I consider my daily work OS.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have only used LTS version as my stable Ubuntu... and use Development Release as my general OS. I agree with the #15 that Quantal was PITA.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I've been using Kubuntu 13.04 since around November I think, and it hasn't been entirely smooth. There have been a few package updates that have broken important functionality, and these are always fixed very quickly after submitting a bug report. Still, though, it can be very irritating to (e.g.) not have a battery gauge, not have application menu bars, or be unable to use VMware Workstation because of a kernel header incompatibility. At least (unlike Quantal) there haven't been any video driver regressions that made my laptop completely unusable.

Using btrfs as my filesystem has been absolutely essential -- my systems are configured to take snapshots of the root and home subvolumes on every boot, and rolling back to a previous snapshot is quite easy after booting from a live CD/USB drive. After that, I usually delay aptitude full-upgrading for a day or two and then try again to see if things are still broken.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12