Thread: Any idea whether 13.04 will be fully functional on an rMBP once released?

Beans

Any idea whether 13.04 will be fully functional on an rMBP once released?

Title says it all.

Does anyone have some inside scoop on this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Any idea whether 13.04 will be fully functional on an rMBP once released?

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Diaboli View Post
    Title says it all.

Does anyone have some inside scoop on this?
    Try the Live CD, and see, it's available here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Does anybody know what an rMBP is when it is at home?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display

Apple trademarks the back of the eye = FUD

Video driver issue.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

Half my family runs Apple pc's, half run everything else.

Being an engineer, I was shocked decades ago when I saw how much Apple charged for how little hardware. Plus $$ for every app.

Now Apple's livilyhood depends on a smooth running package doing things Apple's way. If that suits your life style, then you're happy to pay up to twice as much.

As an engineer, I dabble in a variety different platforms and try different things some work fine some crash. Many of these platforms are as fast or faster than Apple's at half the cost, but I do have to do a bit of hand holding.

Now my wife is running XP's still because she supports a couple websites with Dreamweaver, $$ proprietary app, and has to be compatible with the other programmers on the net. XP was a bit of a pig until I just installed SSD hard drives on her two pc's. Amazing. Zoom. BTW, Clonezilla a free linux package worked fine on copying all the proprietary stuff except Dreamweaver which took a couple calls to India to get going, some hocus pocus about the certificate number which we did have since it is a legitimate paid for copy.

And I did use Ubuntu to move/resize NTF partitions for the larger SSD drives, no problem.

So if the person wants to pay up to twice as much for a smooth running-you-can't-change-it and likes to do things Apples way, fine.

What a ramble. Gist is, why would someone paying all that for Apple want to run ubuntu on it, when there's far more convenient ways to run ubuntu. Self answering question. We all try everything on everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

why would someone paying all that for Apple want to run ubuntu on it,
    My thought entirely. Why pay for something and not use it? That is why I built this machine myself. I wanted to run Linux on it. I am glad I choose Ubuntu.