Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repartitioning Help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Repartitioning Help

Hello all.

I have been using a dual-boot set-up on my HP dv6, with the following partitions

Code:
    Logical
    sda1 (32gb) Root for Precise x64 

Extended sda2 containing
    sda5 (32gb) Intended Root for arch, project abandoned after scragging my /home partition :(
    sda6 (32gb) Root for Backtrack5r3
    sda7 (100gb) /home for Precise x64 on sda1
    110gb of unallocated space
    sda8 (8gb) Swap space
    After my abortive attempt to install arch I have decide to play with it in a vm until I get a better feel for it, and as sda1 is approaching its max (room to spare, but I would like a bit more wiggle room) I would like to "merge" (my understanding is you don't actually merge partitions, just delete and resize) sda1 and sda5 for a total of 64gb for root, but I am not sure how to proceed, I can't figure out how to do it and do not want to scrag my install (I got it set pretty nice, don't want to have to redo it)

I am comfortable with GUI and CLI programs, I just don' wanna mess up.
    Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777; January 28th, 2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Typos
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Repartitioning Help

You have a problem as sda5 is in an extended partition which sda1 is not a part of.

My solution would be to delete sda1, expand the extended partition into the free space created then expand sda5 inside the extended partition. Should work.

One question: Why do you want it so large? I have never used anything larger than 15Gb for an install partition (/). I do keep all personal data on a /home partition, though, and not in the /home directory inside /.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    You have a problem as sda5 is in an extended partition which sda1 is not a part of.

My solution would be to delete sda1, expand the extended partition into the free space created then expand sda5 inside the extended partition. Should work.

One question: Why do you want it so large? I have never used anything larger than 15Gb for an install partition (/). I do keep all personal data on a /home partition, though, and not in the /home directory inside /.
    Sounds doable, but it seems you missed a point -- I should like to avoid having to re-do everything I have done (heavy tweaking has occurred, lol)

I just like having room, seems to be a holdover from my win$ days.
    Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777; January 28th, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Edit in response to an editted quote.
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, as sda5 is in an extended partition and sda1 is not, never the twain shall meet.

PS: Also not sure why you have an 8Gb /swap. Do you hibernate often? If not, 2Gb is fine.

Beans
    Distro

Well, as sda5 is in an extended partition and sda1 is not, never the twain shall meet.

PS: Also not sure why you have an 8Gb /swap. Do you hibernate often? If not, 2Gb is fine.
    Dang, I was afraid of that. :sigh:

8 gigs cuz I can, lol. I never hib, but I am a chronic multi-tasker, and it's my understanding that swap takes over if you start to "run out of" ram (correct me if I am wrong here).
    Technomancy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Multitask your hardest and while doing so check out the system monitor and see if you are even using the /swap.

Beans
    Distro

Multitask your hardest and while doing so check out the system monitor and see if you are even using the /swap.
    I have never seen swap go into use on my system, but I am a bit of a doomsday preparationist, in real life and in the wired. "Better safe than sorry" is my motto What is 6 more gigs out of 320, yah feel me? It would be overkill on a tiny hard drive, but I got room to spare (142gb to be "precise" yuk yuk)
    Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777; January 28th, 2013 at 01:23 AM.
    Technomancy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ntzrmtthihu777 View Post
    I have never seen swap go into use on my system, but I am a bit of a doomsday preparationist, in real life and in the wired. "Better safe than sorry" is my motto What is 6 more gigs out of 320, yah feel me? It would be overkill on a tiny hard drive, but I got room to spare (142gb to be "precise" yuk yuk)
    Fair enough.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, your sig link on building a linux computer is interesting, will read at another time. Ok, another question:

You mentioned deleting sda1 and growing sda5 into the free space, why can not the opposite be done, delete sda5, shrink sda2 by the appropriate amount (in essense moving the new 32 gigs of free space out of the extended partition) and then expanding sda1 into the resultant free space?
    Technomancy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast