Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing after admin login

Beans

Re: Nothing after admin login

odd. I would try a reinstall if you haven't done anything on it anyway. in my experience, it's best to not do the updates when you're installing

Beans

I've done a fresh instal 3 times now. I run the Windows Installer, then download and install. That all seems to go fine. When I boot, I get a choice of Windows XP Pr or Ubuntu. When I choose Ubuntu I get a normal looking login screen, I'm guessing because I've never used Ubuntu before. I can login as the account I created at installation which I called "Administrator" and I enter my password. I am then presented with a blank screen.

If I wait awhile I will get a "System program problem detected" error message. But all I can do is either cancel or report the problem. I've click both, but no difference. If I try and report the problem I get "The application Compiz has closed unexpectedly" error. If I click "relaunch" the Compiz error just keeps coming up.

When I tried to do the "sudo apt-get install dconf-tools" in the terminal I get a error saying the "sudo apt-get" is invalid.
    Last edited by DanaLG; January 28th, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

I tried both the processes described in this link:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...in-ubuntu.html

Neither one had any effect.

I have deleted ubuntu totally, re-downloaded the Windows installer. Run through the installation a total of 4 times, and I get the exact same result.

Beans

Hi,

The issue is probably that the integrated video is too old to support modern hardware OpenGL 3D acceleration which Unity requires. Ubuntu removed Unity 2D in 12.10 as far as I know.

My suggestion is to try Ubuntu 12.04, or a more lightweight version such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

If none of those pan out, then another distribution that is much more lightweight, such as Puppy Linux, may work better on relatively ancient hardware such as yours.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This may be a long shot, but I've read of people having various problems related to a user name with a capitalized first letter. If you're reinstalling, try administrator instead of Administrator.

Beans

Gave up on it last night and shut it all down. Today I booted it up, one last time before i delete it again and try a 5th instal and what do you know, I have a dashboard.

It is running incredibly slow, un-useably slow, but I do have a dashboard.

I still got the Compiz failure error.

I guess I'll re-boot and see if that helps, but I am so excited about having it working, even if it is in slow-motion, that I am afraid to do anything that will stop it..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just realized you are doing a wubi installation? I hear it is a bit finicky. If you don't want to dualboot and are looking to test the waters, perhaps installing virtualbox in windows and then installing ubuntu inside virtualbox would suffice? Most definitely less headache.

Beans

Agreed, I do not really want a duel boot machine. I ave no use for the "Windows" part.

I have come to the conclusion that the DELL Dimension 3000 is just too old and slow for ubuntu. So I installed lubuntu. Sure its not as fancy looking, and might not have all the "Bling" but I just wanted to make the old PC useful again without spending $199 for an operating system I don't like.

So far it installed well, and runs just fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this.
    I have another old'ish DELL, maybe I'll try the full instal on that one . . . .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by DanaLG View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that the DELL Dimension 3000 is just too old and slow for ubuntu...
    ...I have another old'ish DELL, maybe I'll try the full instal on that one . . . .
    Please read my replies on the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8&goto=newpost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12