Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of the following laptops is best if I plan to use ubuntu based linux

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Which of the following laptops is best if I plan to use ubuntu based linux

Tell them if they want the sale, they will allow you to try it out under their supervision. If they won't allow it, thank them and tell them you'll spend your money elsewhere!
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    Tell them if they want the sale, they will allow you to try it out under their supervision. If they won't allow it, thank them and tell them you'll spend your money elsewhere!
    Of course I am going to try that

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sujitrjadhav View Post
    I too have two acers. Infact currently I posting on this thread with my acer aspire 5920. But I am very disappointed with battery performance of acer. In case of both acer models battery life expired in 30 to 36 months. I have Dell Inspiron Mini 1018 too. I have been using it since last 22 months and battery life is still 81% of original capacity. So I would never buy an acer once again.
    That's a good reason, actually i have never got that much out of
    my acer battery, usually 2-2 1/2 yrs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know which one will work best for Linux (my 2006 model HP DV5000 and my HP Mini 210 have no problems with Linux) but HP laptop reliability has deteriorated badly in the last few years and I have quit recommending HP laptops to the folks that I support.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also bear in mind that Lenovo has two lines, Lenovo and Thinkpad that they bought from IBM. Thinkpads, at least the older models have excellent Linux compatibility. I'm not sure about the less expensive Lenovo models.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobpur View Post
    I didn't look up the specs for any of those listed; but, I will agree that going with Intel or nvidia graphics is a fairly safe bet. I'm a big AMD/ATI fan and a lot of them have worked in linux with a little work.
    No! Not Nvidia on a laptop because of Optimus (switchable graphics) unless it can be turned off from the BIOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

No! Not Nvidia on a laptop because of Optimus (switchable graphics) unless it can be turned off from the BIOS
    I run Ubuntu 12.10 on a HP DV7-7008 that has both Intel HD-4000 and nVidia GTX-650M using Optimus and it works fine. I use bumblebee to control the nVidia card and optirun for software that needs the nVidia card's horse power.
    Last edited by Sazhen86; January 29th, 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Correct a typo

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sazhen86 View Post
    I run Ubuntu 12.10 on a HP DV7-7008 that has both Intel HD-4000 and nVidia GTX-650M using Optimus and it works fine. I use bumblebee to control the nVidia card and optirun for software that needs the nVidia card's horse power.
    Bumblebee doesn't work for all Optimus laptops and it is not "out of box" and as far as I know, the technology is not very stable so an update may screw it all up. If OP already has an Optimus laptop or can get one free (or very very cheaply) I would definitely recommend bumblebee . But IMO it is risky if he is going to invest $1000 on a laptop and in that event he should simply avoid Nvidia (unless there is a way to disable Optimus) .
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; January 30th, 2013 at 12:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Bumblebee doesn't work for all Optimus laptops and it is not "out of box" and as far as I know, the technology is not very stable so an update may screw it all up. If OP already has an Optimus laptop or can get one free (or very very cheaply) I would definitely recommend bumblebee . But IMO it is risky if he is going to invest $1000 on a laptop and in that event he should simply avoid Nvidia (unless there is a way to disable Optimus) .
    All fair points and I too would recommend Intel graphics if there is a choice. I just wanted to let the OP know that nVidia isn't necessarily a non-starter on laptops.

Beans

Ubuntu should work well with any of these laptop choices -- from there it is a matter of how you customize and optimize the settings to make it work just right with your system.

It also matters WHAT you will be using the system for -- gaming ... spreadsheets / presentations ... sound / video editing ... etc.

Having looked at the comparison that was offered in the replies:
    ( http://www.ishopper.com/laptops/comp...59324061--907/ )
    There are several differences that would seem to be more important for you than whether Ubuntu Unity will work well right off ...

1. the first two options in the comparison have 14" monitors, versus 15.6" on the other two
    2. the HP and the Lenovo both have USB3 ports where the other two do not -- while not a HUGE factor right now, this may become more important to you within the life of your laptop and should be considered to be of future importance
    3. if you are planning on doing a LOT of internet (heavy ul / dl) work, you may want to consider that the samsung has the best wireless card of these options -- once again not necessarily a huge factor right now, but over the next few years? ...

To me, these considerations and many others are more relevant than how an un-manipulated version of Ubuntu would run on first install. When you install the OS, you then change your backgrounds, hot keys, and functionality -- the same must apply to the program's interaction with your hardware, or you are going to miss out on a huge portion of the computing power you paid for. As much as system optimization is important, it does not matter how the "out of the box" ubuntu works with your system -- it will give you enough of a basis from which to mold it to your system.

Also, as a personal note, I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite and I have had some installation and customization issues with Ubuntu 12.10 Unity ... so I gave Kubuntu 12.10 a try and it has proven more stable on my system, giving me exactly what I was looking for in the Ubuntu family.
    Unity is the default download from Ubuntu but you can find links to download the rest of the family through these forums. Also remember the dual-boot .... if you find one works but you like another better, use the stable one as a platform to tweak the other for yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast