Thread: How to FIX split screen with blank desktop

Beans

How to FIX split screen with blank desktop

I have been having a problem for a few days now where I start up my PC, everyting looks fine up to where I have to log in.

I get a log in screen, but the screen is split in two, as soon as I log in I get a blank desktop which is also split in two.
    I cannot access any monitor or system settings at all.

Im running Ubuntu 12.10 x64

Any advice on how to fix this because its really frustrating and it is preventing me from using my computer.

Please see attached image.

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...STtHRohpQeHkd0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to FIX split screen with blank desktop

Hay,

Please elaborate on the graphics set up of the system. eg, are you running nvidia graphics, what drivers are you using, proprietary or open source, version. etc.

IF you are running nvidia's proprietary drivers, after log in hit ctrl+alt+F1 (or from a rescue shell) and run the following commands:

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    this should reconfigure the nvidia device in the xconfig. Just for incase there is something in there that is not right.

You might also try

Code:
    sudo nvidia-smi -r
    This should reset your cards, if a double buffer ECC (if I remember correctly) error is what is causing the screen split. This might not be relevant for your card.

If all the above is irrelevant, please post the output of:
    Code:
    dmesg
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    You can get this by doing (from a console as stated above):
    Code:
    echo "=================DMESG=================" > trouble.txt
    dmesg >> trouble.txt
    echo ""
    echo "=================X11-xORG=================" >> trouble.txt
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf >> trouble.txt
    And copy paste the file trouble.txt's content here (it will be found in the home directory of the user logged in in the terminal)
    --you can also find the path by asking 'pwd' in terminal, this will print the working directory where the file will be/was created--

If the above is not viable, you can paste to pastebin directly by doing the following steps in terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pastebinit
    cat trouble.txt | pastebinit
    and then giving us the the generated URL eg:
    http://pastebin.com/f5c9dc0b1

Cherz and good luck
    Last edited by zero2xiii; February 4th, 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fixed some syntax
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.