Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to make FOSS for a living. How?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: I want to make FOSS for a living. How?

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Nope. Red Hat, Novell, Google, Intel, etc, etc. Lots of companies hire devs to work on open source software. Heck, even Microsoft had a bloke working on the Linux kernel to get their hypervisors supported in it.
    True, but I'll bet the odds aren't good of getting a job with one of the few big companies who work with FOSS. And remember that most of Google isn't about FOSS. That's just a very small part of what makes up Google. I believe that for them, FOSS is just a means to an end.

That's not to say it's impossible to get a job with one of these companies. It's the talented people who have a lot of motivation that end up there. But the good thing is that if you develop a skill for programming FOSS, you can always use that skill set in a proprietary environment if FOSS just isn't going to make you a living.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Wow! I just got up and I must say after reading all of this, thanks for all the replies, everyone. : ) I guess there is hope to be able to make a living doing this. Sorry if I can't respond to everyone individually. One idea I have now is to work for a company that at least makes some FOSS, like Google, and are aware of its benefits. I think making FOSS on the side is not a bad idea, as long as I have something to do professionally.
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Personally, I would take a project submit some patches and offer paid support. For example take ogre and create a game engine out of it and charge for support.

If you can get some capital I would create an html5 and webgl engine and build a tool similar to adobe flash to create apps and games with it. The whole thing can be open source and you can sell support.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by andamaru View Post
    Personally, I would take a project submit some patches and offer paid support. For example take ogre and create a game engine out of it and charge for support.
    Lol. Just don't document your code at all, and charge for the API documentation.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Space-X uses Linux and C++ to develop and use software to design and manufacture its Falcon rockets.

Just one example among many. You may find it in surprising places.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Lol. Just don't document your code at all, and charge for the API documentation.
    That would make a lot of people really sad, but I guess it would work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12