Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3 with Cinnamon shell ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Gnome 3 with Cinnamon shell ?

Hello, The next distro i plan on trying ,gives 3 options for DE, they are KDE, Xfce and
    Gnome 3 with Cinnamon Shell.

The first 2 i have tried, not extensively but enough to get an idea of what they are like.
    The latter ie Gnome3/Cinnamon is new to me, I would appreciate hearing some thoughts
    on this from someone who has used it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Gnome 3 with Cinnamon shell ?

Cinnamon is fork or variation of the Gnome Shell with a more traditional menu but not like KDE or XFCE . There are a number of videos on Youtube just look for the most current.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the reply, do you use it or do you have other preferences ?

Beans

I use it as started with my preferred Gnome and this is Gnome 3 with Cinnamon that brings back some of that gnome 2 functionality.

Desktop Dual LCD Display Dec. 28th by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Works for me. As don't care for Unity and glad others are finding it to their liking. KDE is popular and a great DE but also not to my liking.

Great thing is finding a flavor that can give you that warm fuzzy feeling is what makes linux so great.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the input orb9220.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think the best idea short of installing several distros is to download and burn live CD/DVD/USB and try them. We all have different needs, methods of work and preferences. In the case of gnome-shell, running off a DVD would not be representative for me, I install several extensions. I guess I could install the extensions but they wouldn't survive a reboot.

Another option with the advent of cheap USB drives is to delete the existing partition of a USB drive, create an ext2 partition and install there. I'm doing that now with 13.04 and it is quite usable. Not as fast as installing to a hard drive of course, updates take forever but still quite functional. I can install printers, Firefox extensions etc. etc. and everything is there. Of course there is live USB with persistence but by doing a 'real' install, there's no 4 GB. limit on persistent data.
    Last edited by kurt18947; January 24th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I think the best idea short of installing several distros is to download and burn live CD/DVD/USB and try them. We all have different needs, methods of work and preferences. In the case of gnome-shell, running off a DVD would not be representative for me, I install several extensions. I guess I could install the extensions but they wouldn't survive a reboot.

Another option with the advent of cheap USB drives is to delete the existing partition of a USB drive, create an ext2 partition and install there. I'm doing that now with 13.04 and it is quite usable. Not as fast as installing to a hard drive of course, updates take forever but still quite functional. I can install printers, Firefox extensions etc. etc. and everything is there. Of course there is live USB with persistence but by doing a 'real' install, there's no 4 GB. limit on persistent data.
    Sounds like good advice, thank you. The whole DE subject can
    stir up a lot of controversy. All i am looking for is something easy to use, reasonably fast, and reasonably pleasant to look at.

I still like unity it does all of the above, KDE is overkill
    for me as i am not that much into customization. Xfce,well
    maybe i could warm up to that. The gnome/cinnamon is starting
    to sound interesting.

Beans

Yep tried out a french distro called Voyager 12.10 xfce and has alot of the customizations already done with built in 20 switchable conky scripts and is lightning fast.

Fuduntu 13.1 has Awn or Dockey and a lightweight Gnome 2 with polish.

But always come back to Mint 14 Cinnamon as a gnome is my preference and is a modern slicker Gnome 3 with a lot of the goodness from Gnome 2 environment.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    But always come back to Mint 14 Cinnamon as a gnome is my preference and is a modern slicker Gnome 3 with a lot of the goodness from Gnome 2 environment.
    I wonder if you could expand a bit on the features,which you describe "with a lot of the goodness" . Please and Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I wonder if you could expand a bit on the features,which you describe "with a lot of the goodness" . Please and Thank you.
    Why don't you install it and try it out for yourself? It's not like a few megabytes will kill a baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast