Thread: In LIveCD is it possible to download 12.04 .iso?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In LIveCD is it possible to download 12.04 .iso?

I am in LiveCD mode. Is it possilbe to download the 12.04 alternative install .iso directly to a thumb-drive?

I tried to install UNetBootin, but apt-get through a error message with 'aisleriot' as causing a problem.
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: In LIveCD is it possible to download 12.04 .iso?

There is nowhere to install apps to when running from the install media (Boot Repair is the exception).

No reason why you can't download the ISO though. Transmission (I think) is the default torrent client. Try downloading the torrent to wherever you like then burning to a CD/DVD. There should be a 'Startup Disk Creator' in the apps menu by default, though I'm using Xubuntu so not positive about that.

Hmm, second thoughts; will be impossible to make a CD if you are running from the CD already in the optical drive ...

Beans
    Distro

You don't have any working computer/OS?

You can download the ISO on any computer or OS as long as you have a usb hdd/stick to save it there afterwards. Then in live mode connect both this usb hdd and the usb stick you plan to use as live usb and create it with the Start Up Disk Creator.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    I am in LiveCD mode. Is it possilbe to download the 12.04 alternative install .iso directly to a thumb-drive?

I tried to install UNetBootin, but apt-get through a error message with 'aisleriot' as causing a problem.
    You can download to wherever you pick (right click > save link as
    (if you only have 1 usb thumb & it's running the live cd then you would have needed to create storage space on it when created.
    When installing apps on live session best to open software sources, disable the 'cd' & make sure all the Ubuntu sources are enabled, then update sources

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    There is nowhere to install apps to when running from the install media (Boot Repair is the exception). .
    You can install apps in live session to the extent of free ram available

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post

You can install apps in live session to the extent of free ram available
    Thanks. You live and learn.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thanks. You live and learn.
    It's been a while since I fooled around that much with live sessions but iirc after login one would have around 50% of the systems total ram left to use here on a laptop w/ 3GB (likely less with onboard graphics.

So sometimes it can get a bit touchy if installing a number of apps with alot of deps.
    One way to free up after an app install is to run sudo apt-get clean which will remove all the dl'ed .deb's in /var/cache/apt/archives

(one can also remove some default apps to create additional space - libreoffice* is a prime example

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Something must have "hung" or not been loaded or not fully loaded because when I next re-booted the problems were gone. Go Figure!
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw