Thread: what is tthe place to report a hardware crash?

Hybrid View

Beans

what is tthe place to report a hardware crash?

Sometimes when I remove my USB headset from the USB slot, the system gives this error and freezes. I see launchpad is organized by packages and I dont know to which package this error belongs.
    Also I can only do a photo of the error, I dont know if this error is actually logged anywhere.

Image here

Beans

Re: what is tthe place to report a hardware crash?

Quote Originally Posted by valugi View Post
    Sometimes when I remove my USB headset from the USB slot, the system gives this error and freezes. I see launchpad is organized by packages
    Please file the bug against the 'linux' package. mikewhatever's post below is the right way to do that.

1) Usually, the triager will first ask you to to try the latest development kernel in case the bug has already been fixed someplace else. So do that before you even file the bug.

2) Use the command lsusb -v > lsusb-v.log to create a detailed hardware description of the USB headset in the file lsusb-v.log. Attach the file to the bug report. Do NOT paste the (quite long) content into a comment or description - really attach it as a separate file.

3) Remember to attach that photo to the bug report, too.

4) You must be willing to help test proposed fixes, and say so in the bug report. The engineer or developer working on your report probably doesn't have that piece of hardware handy to text the fix. Without a test, the fix cannot be committed.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; January 25th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

This is not a "hardware crash", whatever that means, it's a kernel panic.

To report it, open a terminal window, and run ubuntu-bug linux.

That should collect all relevant logs, and attach them to the bug report. All you need to do is explain what happens - you remove the USB headset, and it freezes, and so on.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; January 24th, 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Beans

Thanks to both. Done
    Here is the bug report if anybody has the same problem.