Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Make Me A Believer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Make Me A Believer

94% of the world's supercomputers run on Linux. There must be a reason!
    http://www.unixmen.com/why-do-super-...ers-use-linux/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Because it has a cute penguin as a mascot

Beans

One of the problems, as far as I see it, is that we windows users come to linux with an expectation of seeing similar things to what we are used to or we come to linux with the purpose of proving Microsoft to the best OS developer. Personally this is my fifth OS that I have used the other being: CPM-80, DOS, Windows, MAC OS and now Ubuntu. There is one thing that I have learned in my travels is to come with no preconceived notions at all, I expected Linux to be different, in what way that was the question. Just as DOS was different then CPM-80 adjustments need to be made. Some times these changes are rather hard to live with as the transition from DOS to Windows 3.1 was.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
    One of the problems, as far as I see it, is that we windows users come to linux with an expectation of seeing similar things to what we are used to ...
    I definitely agree with this statement. There are lots of ways to solve a problem and since Windows and Linux were developed independently from each other You shouldn't be surprised that they use different solutions.

People get used to what they know don't like it to change. I'm sure a few of us still remember the 'emacs' or 'vi' editor arguments. Or have I been around computers way too long?

For the benefit of those who have never heard of either look here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

Beans

The way i see it is
    Linux: there are many pieces to deal with, so you have lots of choices and to mod.
    Windows: Have fewer pieces to deal with.. (and we want to bother you after a while)
    Mac: You don't have many pieces to deal with. And im shiny and solid... so it seems (with a price tag of a serverComp)
    and then there are other os's for mainframes and power comping

I believe if you get more resources for computing, you don't go ahead and start bloating and making your computer run all kinds of nonsense, you make use and double the output power of the input of work you do.

But thats just me. It all depends on personality, need, and resources. I still run a P4 comp and trying to get through LFS lol
    Last edited by reevichi; January 24th, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Some of my favorite linux selling points:
    - Very easy to keep software up to date. All your software is (generally) installed in the same way. This makes it very easy to keep it up to date without checking for new versions for your software in 10 different ways.

- Very easy to get programming tools etc. Especially latex (I know it's not really programming) is so much easier to install under linux then under windows.

Then there's the other more subjective points like customizability etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It's not about being a believer, it's about getting things done.

Me, personally I do find that Linux is more straightforward, more flexible and more reliable. So that's why I use it. I find it a nicer, easier to use environment than Windows or OS X, so that's why I use it to get stuff done.

If you find you can't get the stuff you need to do done in Linux, or you don't enjoy doing so then don't use it. Having said that, any new system does have a learning curve, so make sure you're not giving up on it just because of that. This forum and other sites like askubuntu.com are excellent for leaching off the experience of other Linux users to get a leg-up on that learning curve.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

A Computer Science degree doesn't cover Operating Systems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

During many maintenance windows from 2 to 4am - linux has saved my bacon more times, then I have had bacon....

Im writing this on a windows machine.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast